Parking facility, historic areas among ideas for State Street

Downtown Madison's future drew discussion Thursday evening from the Downtown Coordinating Committee. 

The committee began with an update on the Mid-State Street Parking Facility project. This new project will redevelop the current Buckeye Lot into a structure with public, commercial and residential uses. Construction could begin in 2006, according to Planning and Development Director Mark Olinger. The DCC completed discussion and will recommend the resolution be approved February 22 at the next Common Council meeting. 

The meeting also discussed designating certain downtown neighborhoods as conservation or historic districts. A conservation designation might be better for some Madison neighborhoods that might not need the more stringent rules required of a historic district, Olinger said. 

\One of the areas we were very interested in preserving were a series of old, decorative streetlights,"" he said. ""They weren't interested in creating a historic district, but they were concerned about creating an environment in which new development or actions which could occur would be consistent with the overall feel of the buildings."" 

However, if the goal is to protect entire buildings, a historic district designation might be a better option. 

""I prefer to see State Street be a historic district,"" said Olinger. ""I think there's enough characters and fabric on State Street that to be something less than a historic district would be a challenge."" 

Other Madison neighborhoods, such as the Bassett Street neighborhood, might be better designated as conservation districts.  

""One thing we have to do is think more than just State Street,"" said Ted Crabb, committee chair. 

The Bassett Street area contains locations worthy of preservation, such as Wilson and Doty Streets, Olinger added, and it could be a test for State Street. 

""I would really like to see it become a conservation district,"" said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. ""We would love to be the guinea pigs."" 

The dialogue was tabled, but the issue will be recommended to the Planning Committee for further research and discussion.