Council primaries crown two 'Kings'

Ald. Austin King, District 8, and Kami Eshraghi claimed the top two spots in the District 8 aldermanic primary Tuesday night, while Sarah Ellen King and Isadore Knox Jr. were the two victorious candidates in District 13. 

Austin won 79 percent of the votes from the district, while Eshraghi won 17 percent and Ryan Corcoran, who suddenly dropped from the race Monday night, still won 6 percent of the district's votes. 

\I'm pleasantly surprised,"" Austin said. ""We knew we were going to win, but not by this much."" 

Austin repeatedly thanked his volunteers and supporters and said he is going to continue to run on his record and speak to constituents. 

Sarah won 47 percent of the votes from District 13, while Knox won 38 percent, Kuehn 7 percent and Steinhauer 8 percent. 

""I really didn't know what to expect,"" said Sarah. ""When there are four candidates, the results are unpredictable."" 

Both Austin and Sarah celebrated their victories Tuesday night at Caf?? Montmartre, 127 E. Mifflin St., but were disappointed with overall voter turnout in their respective primaries. 

""The turnout was really disappointing,"" said Austin. ""But it is usually pretty low in the spring."" 

Sarah added the turnout could have been a lot better, but considering so few people vote in the spring primaries those votes carry a lot more weight. 

""Only a few people make really big decisions,"" Sarah said. 

In a statewide School Superintendent primary, Elizabeth Burmaster and Greg Underheim were the two top vote-getters over Todd Stelzel and Paul Yvarra.  

Burmaster garnered 61 percent of the vote and Underheim received 25 percent.