Budget includes tuition cap

UW students will face tuition increases of 5 to 7 percent in each of the next two years under the 2005-'06 budget proposed by Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle Tuesday night. 

In a speech that at times drew both standing ovations and jeers of derision from Republican opposition, Doyle laid out his plans not only for the UW System, but also for his own property tax freeze. But before a statewide audience, Doyle neglected to focus attention on what has become a contentious issue at UW-the governor's intentions to finally provide domestic partner benefits for all UW employees. 

When legislators get their first look at the numbers in coming days, they should not find anything nearly as devastating as the cuts that forced the UW System to take a $250 million hit in the previous budget. 

\For the first time in more than 10 years, my budget will add more state money to the UW and financial aid than it will to the Department of Corrections,"" Doyle said. 

This statement encouraged Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, but he said he believes more can be done. 

""I personally would like to see an even bigger investment than the governor outlined,"" Black said. 

However, tuition-which increased 16 percent in 2003 and 14 percent last year-will increase another 5 to 7 percent, a figure Doyle said will keep UW-Madison near the bottom of the Big Ten in terms of in-state tuition. But that declaration did not impress Assembly Speaker John Gard, R-Peshtigo. 

""Apparently he wanted people to [applaud] that tuition is going up,"" Gard said. 

The increase is slightly more than the 4.3 percent the UW System Board of Regents requested at the beginning of the year, according to regent spokesperson Doug Bradley. 

Doyle said the UW System will also be able to add 125 faculty while eliminating 200 administrative positions, but system President Kevin Reilly questioned the feasibility of more staff cuts. 

""Our campuses are still managing the previous $250 million in cuts,"" Reilly said in a statement. ""Further staff reductions will negatively impact our capacity to provide quality student support services."" 

Bradley also expressed unease with additional downsizing. 

""The reality is ... we're sort of hollowing out our infrastructure,"" Bradley said. ""These people aren't just these high-paid administrators, we're talking about folks that have a key role in student success."" 

Bradley said the regents are pleased with Doyle's proposal to increase financial aid by $23 million, a 34 percent increase. 

Outside the confines of UW, Doyle's property tax freeze plan will surely dominate the dialogue in the state in the coming days. The governor claims his plan will achieve the same ends as the Republicans' plan, but Gard accused Doyle of disguising a tax increase. 

""He exempts half the property tax bill ... and the other half he allows to grow at the more than twice the rate of inflation,"" Gard said. 

Black said Doyle's plan may harm the city of Madison. 

""Some of the changes the governor outlined, especially in the Expenditure Restraint Program, could have a very negative effect on Madison,"" Black said. ""[It] is a very important program in terms of supporting Madison's city services."" 

""We just want to make sure Madison receives its full share of revenue,"" Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison, added. 

While Doyle chose not to promote his plan to fund health care for domestic partners of UW-Madison employees, Pocan said the governor has included the plan in his budget. 

""He believes strongly in it,"" Pocan said. ""It's going to be real important so that we can retain the best faculty and staff at the UW."" 

Gard speculated Doyle did not want to promote controversial ideas in a televised speech. 

""He doesn't want to have that conversation with everybody in this state,"" Gard said. ""He knows it's not supported by the vast majority of people in Wisconsin. They're having a hard enough time paying for their own health care without subsidizing the partners of homosexual couples.\