Badgers split Kohl Center season finale

It was not the ending the Wisconsin men's hockey team (16-6-1 Western Collegiate Hockey Association, 21-8-2 overall) imagined for their final weekend home series; nonetheless, the team proved it could not only keep up with the top team in the WCHA, but will undoubtedly be a strong contender going into the WCHA playoffs and the NCAA ones as well. 

The Badgers put in a strong performance Friday night against Colorado College (18-6-2 WCHA, 25-6-3 overall) scoring four times in the final period on their way to a 5-1 victory over the Tigers. Unfortunately the offensive power did not carry over into the final game at the Kohl Center, as the Badgers were unable to answer CC's two goals, losing  

2-1. 

Wisconsin struggled both nights to get their shots off. Despite the 5-1 victory on Friday, the Badgers were still outshot 40 to 25 for the night. In the first period, the Badgers only managed to get off six shots on goal. What saved the game was the team's ability to make the shots they did take count. 

\They're hard to play against when they get up because of their systems,"" Colorado College head coach Scott Owens said. ""It's disappointing. It's an odd game to look at the shots then look at the score."" 

After a scoreless first period on Friday, Wisconsin started the offensive explosion 11:22 into the second when freshman forward Matt Auffrey rebounded the puck and put it in the net over CC sophomore goalie Matt Zaba's shoulder during the power play.  

The third period seemed to be where the Badgers found the confidence that eluded them during a three-game winless streak. Junior forward Ryan MacMurchy scored 55 seconds into the third period and was followed by goals from sophomore forward Ross Carlson (5:22 into the third) and two goals by junior forward Nick Licari (6:09 and 10:46 into the third).  

Still, it was probably the play of senior goalie Bernd Br??ckler that added insurance for the Badgers given that the Tigers came in with the highest scoring line in the nation. 

""It's definitely nice to know that in the first period, when we're not playing good and the puck's not bouncing our way, you have a goaltender who can make saves for you and the score is 0-0 heading into the second,"" junior defenseman Tom Gilbert said. ""Obviously we can't ask any more out of [Bernd] Br??ck."" 

Saturday's match-up failed to have the offensive support to back Br??ckler's continued steadfast performance. The Badgers' power-play unit failed to take advantage of six opportunities, which drew irritation from Badger head coach Mike Eaves. 

""Can you spell anemic?"" he asked. 

Possibly most frustrating for Wisconsin was its final power-play opportunity with less than four minutes to go. With the sold-out crowd on its feet, the Badgers failed to take advantage of the opportunity to make a move on the WCHA-leading Tigers. 

""I don't know if a penalty has ever been declined in hockey but I was sure wishing I could throw out a flag and just say, 'We'll just play five-on-five,'"" Eaves said. ""It was that tough. I felt bad for the kids. They were trying, they really were. It was just a bad night with the puck."" 

Sophomore forward Jake Dowell made the only Badger score of the night. 

The Badgers are five points behind the Tigers and three behind Denver. After failing to take advantage of the opportunity the weekend series gave it, Wisconsin now looks to rebound quickly and find whatever made them so successful earlier in the season. 

""We have to get to the winning ways consistently, not just lose one, win one, tie one,"" Br??ckler said. ""We have to do that down the road. If you're in the NCAAs you have to win back-to-back.\