Student orgs connect through new group

An organization for student organizations called People Opposing Prejudice held its first meeting of the semester Monday night in Chadbourne Lounge. 

POP is an organization of 17 diverse student organizations on campus with the purpose of connecting groups. 

Organizations such as Associated Students of Madison, Legislative Affairs, Al Awda, Promoting Racial Equality and Awareness and the Wisconsin Alumni Student Board are just a few of the many groups belonging to POP. 

\We feel it makes student organizations more effective if they're working together,"" said Quilen Blackwell, a UW-Madison sophomore and POP organizer. 

The group hopes to connect student associations on campus by providing a platform for cultural and social understanding. 

Founded just last fall, POP is focused on opening doors for communication between groups and individuals participating in each organization. 

In addition, it hopes to provide public relations connections to get more students and associations involved in activities together. 

""There are so many people on campus it is hard to connect, and POP helps us out,"" said Harmon Spahn, a UW-Madison senior and delegate to POP from Golden Key Club. 

Due to the UW-Madison's large size, POP provides more personal relationships between members, something POP leader Christina Vue, a UW-Madison sophomore, feels is essential. 

""[POP] can spread the word about things that happen to individuals to more than just one group,"" Vue said. 

Justin Volrath, a UW-Madison junior and POP leader, spoke on behalf of organizations on campus, saying that by joining, they can connect with others to brainstorm and plan more successful events. 

All delegates agreed that coming together to be a part of another organization gives them more power and strength in the eyes of UW-Madison and city officials. 

POP's goal of providing additional resources to groups has already been accomplished. 

The group is now considering holding a dance serving all the groups involved. One of the member groups, the Wisconsin Alumni Student Board, hopes to use POP to help plan the annual week-long campus party. 

While POP spent all of last semester focused on getting groups to join, expansion is still a main goal. 

""We're always open for any organization or individual student to join,"" Blackwell said. 

Even though it already has 17 member groups, Blackwell says POP is looking for more to share resources and gain a better understanding of each other.