Legislator proposes merging tech schools and universities

A proposal introduced by state Rep. Rob Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, would merge the UW System's 13 two-year colleges with the 13 four-year universities, according to a press release.  

However, the lack of an actual proposal raises concerns among state government and UW System officials.  

Kreibich claimed the merger would save money, though other officials voiced concerns with the proposal.  

\The press release has some misinformation,"" said Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison. ""[It] seems to act as if each of these two-year campuses is on its own.""  

The two-year campuses are ""administered as one unit centrally,"" Black said. ""They have the same chancellor.""  

The effects of the proposal on students are also questionable, Black said. ""[A merger] might limit the options of students who attend the two-year campuses.""  

According to Black, students who attend the UW System's two-year colleges have the choice to attend any UW four-year university they wish if they achieve a minimum 2.75 GPA in their classes at two-year colleges.  

If all the campuses were merged, Black explained, two-year students would have fewer opportunities to attend their choice universities.  

As for UW System involvement, UW System President Kevin Reilly is ""doing a really strong internal assessment [...] to find ways that the University can realize some administrative efficiencies,"" said UW System spokesperson Doug Bradley.  

Reilly is working on a report to be delivered to the Legislative Audit Bureau, encompassing over 250 methods that could save the UW System money, including the elimination of the position of vice president for university relations and the reformation of the senior vice president position for administration into an executive vice president position.  

These efforts to save money within the UW System will ""hopefully result in a dialogue between state government and UW officials,"" said Bradley.