Out-of-state revelers comprise majority of Halloween arrests

The Madison Police Department announced Monday they issued approximately $125,000 in fines relating to Halloween weekend, and preliminary police reports show most arrests came from out-of-state revelers and not UW-Madison students.  

According to mayoral spokesperson Melanie Conklin, of the 450 total arrests, only 59 were UW-Madison students. Police arrested only one UW-Madison student for serious charges. 

\[The figures] emphasized the fact that the people causing most of the serious crimes were out of state,"" Conklin said, adding Mayor Dave Cieslewicz wants to ensure students that his harsh criticism of the negative turn of events early Sunday morning was in no way a criticism of the university community. 

""He is not criticizing UW-Madison students because a majority of them, just like we said beforehand, they invest in the community,"" Conklin said. ""They don't want to see the city that they love, too, trashed.""  

The Police Department also announced Wednesday that of the 519 charges issued over the weekend, the number-one charge was for underage drinking, of which there were 182. Police charged 172 revelers for possession of an open intoxicant, and 72 were charged with disorderly conduct.  

Cieslewicz issued a stinging admonishment of the annual October celebration Sunday, advising the city to consider diminishing or discouraging the event next year. Members of the Greater State Street Business Association plan to meet today to discuss the weekend revelries and his announcement. 

President of the Greater State Street Business Association Sandy Torkildson said despite the increased revenue Halloween generates for the downtown area, she expects State Street businesses will cooperate with the Mayor. 

""I think they are more concerned with preserving the good reputation of Madison and of State Street ... than they are in seeing a giant, wild event that occurs year after year,"" she said. 

Yet, some State Street businesses, such as State Street Brats, 603 State St., benefit greatly from the onslaught of visitors to the downtown area. 

Brats Manager Kellen Milad said being a bar and a restaurant, his business makes substantial amounts of money both during the day and after hours.  

""I would definitely say it puts Madison on the map as far as business goes,"" he said. ""It's great for business; it gives us a name."" 

Yet, Milad acknowledge some businesses such as clothing stores might appreciate eliminating or downsizing Halloween ""because of the sheer chaos that goes on.""  

""You just have no idea what's going to happen to your storefront,"" he added.