Mayor campaigns for new streetcar system

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced plans for Madison to develop its own streetcar system at the Transport 2020 Implementation Task Force meeting Monday night. 

Cieslewicz proposed that he form a streetcar committee to deal with intracity traffic problems while Transport 2020 continues working toward a countywide commuter rail line. The two different technologies would later be integrated to form one large mass transportation system. 

The mayor's plan met skepticism from some committee members who said Transport 2020, not a mayoral committee, should study both the rail and the streetcar options.  

According to Cieslewicz, while Transport 2020 should be the main force in determining a solution to the problem of intercity traffic and commuting, Madison should be able to work on the streetcar option on its own time, with its own money. 

\What I'm suggesting is a way to study both possibilities,"" he said. ""The city will continue to be a partner in this Transport 2020 study. Early next year I would appoint a committee to start having discussions about a streetcar system. It would start only in the city of Madison, and the local share would be funded only by the city of Madison."" 

Special Assistant to the Chancellor LaMarr Billups said he understood the positions of both the city and the county representatives.  

""I can't speak for those who express some concern, but I can imagine why,"" he said. ""What we want is to be able to send in an application for funding to the federal government that has both the city and the county on it acting in concert. But the mayor recognizes with his plan that there are needs the city has that aren't necessarily conducive to the regional approach the county wants, and he's indicated that he's perfectly willing to fund it within the city."" 

Frederick Bartol, the president of the Dane County Alliance for Rail Transit, said the proposed rail system and streetcars would serve two different needs in the community. 

""The rail could provide a quick and easy way for people to get from outlying areas into downtown Madison, and the streetcars could let them concentrate development in the heart of Madison while providing an easier means for people to get around within that area,"" he said.