Giuliani touts GOP in Madison visit

Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani campaigned for President Bush alongside Republican candidate for U.S. Senate Tim Michels and candidate for Congress Dave Magnum on Madison's East Side Friday, claiming the outcome of Nov. 2 will determine the future of homeland security and terror in the world. 

\This election is going to determine the future course on the war on terror and our safety at home,"" he said. 

Appearing one day after Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry drew more than 80,000 for a rally in downtown Madison, former U.S. Rep. Scott Klug said the Democrats may have gotten ""the Boss"" Bruce Springsteen for their rally, but ""today we've got the boss of America's biggest city.""  

Giuliani, whose presence in the media increased after the Sept. 11 attacks, said he trusts Bush will keep the United States on the right path if re-elected and criticized Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry for ""constantly changing his position"" on the war on terror and the war in Iraq. 

He acknowledged the Bush administration, like the Democrats, wants the war to be over. Yet, the country has to be on the offense against terrorism, he said, adding Kerry views ""terrorism as just a nuisance."" The attack on the USS Cole, the attack on the World Trade Center in 1993 and Sept. 11 should not be viewed as nuisances.  

Kerry does not have the correct mindset for pursuing an aggressive war on terror, he said, adding the Democrat ""says he wasn't affected."" 

According to Giuliani, Bush will actively seek to improve the United States intelligence system and the Department of Homeland Security.  

""We will never ever be as safe as we should be if we just rely on homeland security and intelligence,"" he said.  

Giuliani also continued a common theme in the 2004 presidential campaigns, briefly touching upon the senatorial records of Kerry and Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards. He criticized Edwards for his poor attendance record in the Senate, and added both candidates change their positions based on public opinion. 

""Bush is much more concerned with having victory against terror rather than popularity,"" he said.  

UW-Madison sophomore and member of the College Republicans Ryan Blum said he thought it was effective that Republicans brought in a high-profile party member to bring in support for Bush. 

Klug echoed Blum's thoughts, adding the College Republicans' membership has increased 70 percent over the past year with 1,300 members. 

""We need to change the way people think in Madison and I think we're doing it,"" he said.