Verveer proposes increasing fines for landlord violations

In an effort to keep tax levels low and keep pace with Mayor Dave Cieslewicz's 2005 Capital Budget, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, plans to introduce a series of city fine increases for landlords and propose to at least double the fines on more than 100 ordinance violations. 

\The main effect is to have these penalties keep up with the rate of inflation and have the deterrent effect they're intended to have,"" Verveer said. 

According to Verveer's proposal, landowners who seize a tenant's personal property will see fines increase from $102 to $784. If landlords fail to give 24-hour notice before entering a tenant's apartment, they will be subject to a $784 fine, an increase from the original $71. 

Verveer said he is concerned there are so many serious fines that have not been reviewed by the city for several years, and in some cases parking tickets have higher fines. 

""Several of these fines are certainly a lot more serious than illegal parking,"" he said. 

Mayoral spokesperson Melanie Conklin agreed, saying there are multiple city fees that have not been increased, and that fees can be an alternative revenue source for the city.  

City Council President and Director of the Tenant Resource Center Brenda Konkel said the two fine increases regarding landlords are the only two fines that are actually enforceable by the Madison Police Department.  

""I think what [Verveer] did was just took the two that were actually enforceable by the police department and that they were actually likely to give a ticket for,"" she said.  

Konkel said it is important that there are substantial fines for landlords who violate the 24-hour notice and tenant property rights, adding the only other option for tenants in those circumstances is calling the police.  

Verveer said after the increase in underage drinking and disorderly conduct fines at Tuesday's City Council meeting, he purposely avoided increasing fines that directly affected students. Fines that will not change according to the proposal are $164 for underage drinking off a licensed premise and $102 for the ""casual"" possession of marijuana.  

Verveer plans to introduce his proposal to the City Council at their meeting Oct. 19.