UW continues Big Ten battles

The Wisconsin Badgers (1-0,4-0) are hoping that Anthony Davis' return will provide a much needed boost to their offense when they host the University of Illinois (0-1,2-2) this Saturday. 

Davis, who is No. 2 on Wisconsin's all-time rushing list, has been out since suffering an eye injury during the Badgers' game against the University of Central Florida. His return is sorely needed on a Badgers team that has struggled to put points on the board since his departure.  

\Anthony Davis coming back will add that spark that [the offense has] been missing. He might get in the endzone,"" said junior linebacker Reginald Cribbs. 

The Badgers should see plenty of the endzone against an Illini defense that has had trouble stopping both the pass and run this year. Illinois ranks near the bottom of all defensive categories in both the Big Ten and the nation. This is a defense whose best defensive player was playing on the other side of the ball last year. Kelvin Hayden, a converted wide receiver, leads the Fighting Illini with 38 tackles, and has three of the defense's six turnovers-two interceptions and a fumble recovery.  

Haley is one of the few bright spots on a defense that has yet to show the expected improvement over last year's unit, which played a big role in Illinois' 1-11 record. Their defensive line struggles to come off blocks. As a result, the Illini have only recorded four sacks on the year. Although the Illinois line is worse than the unit the Badgers faced last week, the strategy is the same, according to senior guard Jonathan Clinkscale. ""We're going to keep on doing what we do, keep a hat on a hat and try to push."" 

Another by-product of the defensive line's struggles is that their inability to come off blocks forces Illinois to play with eight men in the box, meaning that opposing wide outs are one-on-one with defensive backs all day. This allows quarterbacks, like Purdue's Kyle Orton, who racked up 366 passing yards and 5 touchdowns, to pick apart the Illini secondary.  

""Stocco's real calm out there; he's letting the game come to him, he's not pressing. He's just doing what he has to do to win,"" Clinkscale said of his confidence in sophomore quarterback John Stocco.  

On the other side of the ball, Wisconsin's ranking as the No. 1 scoring defense and No. 2 overall defense in the nation will be tested against an Illinois attack that averages almost 440 yards per game. 

The most striking thing about the Illini offense is its balance. They average 215 yards on the ground per game and 224 through the air. 

The Illini ground game is headed by sophomore E.B. Halsey, a pre-season Second Team All Big Ten selection. Halsey is officially listed as 5'-10', but has proven himself as both an explosive runner and an accomplished receiver. Last season, Halsey caught five passes for 57 yards and chalked up both a receiving and rushing touchdown against the Badgers. 

""They have a very balanced attack,"" said Cribbs, ""It's very important for our front seven to stop the run so our back four can concentrate on the pass."" 

Fortunately for the Badgers, their front seven have been controlling the line of scrimmage all year. They have allowed only 72 yards on the ground per game and, more importantly, have been able to limit long runs. 

""It's just about being sound ... and being well prepared so you can play fast. When you hesitate, especially against a team like this, whose linemen come off the ball and their backs run downhill, so if you hesitate it can be a touchdown like that,"" said Cribbs. 

If the Illini are able to get their running game going, it will open up the defense for Jon Beutjer and the Illinois passing game. Beutjer thrives when he has time to stand in the pocket and make his reads.  

Having below-average mobility, Beutjer relies on his intelligence to guide an Illinois offense that centers on short, precise routes. 

Although he has the arm strength to take advantage of blown coverages, his quick release is his best asset. 

While Beutjer threw for 207 yards and a touchdown against the Badgers last year, he now faces a unit that is playing with more intensity under new defensive coordinator Bret Bielema. 

""He's brought enthusiasm to the defense, excitement and fun. We fly around having fun out there, it's a big difference [from last year],"" said Cribbs. 

The Badgers' defense knows that it will have to step up that enthusiasm to continue their success this week. ""We've played great games but we always go to sleep on a drive or two each game. We have to play four complete quarters ... that's our goal.""