Sports facilities see security additions

In an attempt to secure campus facilities, the Kohl Center and Camp Randall Stadium will soon see new additions including concrete walls, boulders and large planters. 

Officials said security precautions are necessary at the two campus facilities in order to prevent the possibility of terrorist attacks.  

\I think just because the two facilities probably hold a lot of people, they may be targets of some sort,"" said Gary Brown, UW-Madison's director of planning and landscape architecture. 

The 4-foot-high concrete wall in front of the Kohl Center lawn is tall enough to prevent approaching vehicles or problems with terrorist attacks, Brown said. 

The new additions will replace concrete barriers that have been in place since the Sept. 11 attacks. 

The construction is fully funded by the federal government and the university will receive homeland security money to complete the security additions. 

Just this month, the Census Bureau released figures ranking Wisconsin last in the nation for how much the U.S. Department of Homeland Security spent per person in the first nine months of 2003.  

Brown said the security features at Camp Randall will be completed this spring while the Kohl Center additions will be finished within the next few weeks.