Kerry, Bush clash in foreign policy debate

The first presidential debate between Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry and President Bush, held at the University of Miami and moderated by PBS' Jim Lehrer, was a tightly regulated affair that, in contrast with the host school's nickname, resulted in relatively little politically turbulent weather. 

The predetermined topic of the debate was foreign policy and homeland security. When questioned whether he could do a better job of protecting America from terrorist attacks, Kerry said he and Bush are governed by different sets of convictions.  

\I believe America is safest and strongest when we are leading the world and we are leading strong alliances,"" Kerry said. 

Lehrer then asked Bush whether a Kerry win would increase the threat of terror. 

""No, I don't believe it's going to happen. I believe I'm going to win [the election],"" Bush said. 

Bush further argued that the 10 million registered voters in Afghanistan serve as evidence that his foreign policy has been successful in instilling freedom in the battered country. 

""I've shown the American people I know how to lead,"" Bush said. 

Several themes resonated through each candidates' arguments. Kerry reiterated his belief that the actions of the present administration have eroded America's reputation within the international community, that bilateral talks with North Korea are a viable and plausible method of nuclear disarmament, and that if he were elected president, he would establish and strengthen alliances to reduce the United States' military burden in Iraq. 

""Today, we are [bearing] 90 percent of the casualties and 90 percent of the cost,"" Kerry said. 

Throughout the debate, Bush characterized Kerry as uncommitted to the war in Iraq and unfit to assume the role of commander in chief while sending mixed messages regarding his stance on the conflict. In addition, Bush argued a solid Iraqi political and social infrastructure was a lynchpin to the greater security of the region. 

""A free Iraq will be an ally against the war on terror,"" he said. 

Bush disagreed with Kerry's assessment of continued communication with North Korea, stating that a bilateral strategy would evaporate the credibility the six-party initiative to alleviate the nuclear crisis.  

UW-Madison political science Professor G. Donald Ferree called the debate a draw, with each candidate appearing cautious. 

""My gut sense is people who are already committed will see nothing to change their minds,"" he said. 

UW-Madison political science Professor Charles Franklin said he would give the edge to Kerry, but would not say it was a knockout victory. 

""If people were looking for fireworks, they didn't see any,"" Ferree said.