City makes final push for safe Halloween

Despite festivities turning riotous the past two years, university and city officials are optimistic the focus on Halloween as a community event will create a positive atmosphere this weekend. 

UW-Madison sophomore Kristina Mueller, chair of the Associated Students of Madison Halloween 2004, said bringing the town together is one of the group's main goals. 

\The approach of having everyone come together-the city, the university, the students-, all of us working together-we'll have a really good plan in place for Halloween this year,"" Mueller said. ""People can come and party and have a great time, but those are not the problems that we've had in the past, so we can keep expanding and making Halloween better in the future.""In addition to family-oriented activities on State Street such as free hayrides, trick-or-treating at downtown stores and a children's costume contest, there will also be a costume contest for adults at 9 p.m. on Library Mall. No entrance fee is required and winners will receive gift certificates for local businesses. 

Mueller added the success of Halloween is dependent on positive student behavior. 

""We're encouraging students to police themselves, to be responsible and go out there and have a good time, but not be stupid,"" she said. 

While university and police officials have set many guidelines for students to follow during Halloween, Sgt. Edie Brogan of the UW Police Department stressed the consequences students could face from out-of-control behavior. 

""If students are involved in any kind of crimes on State Street, they're going to be held accountable for it and not just with getting tickets from the city, but also by the dean of students afterwards,"" Brogan said. 

Brogan recommended following the university's advice of setting drinking limits and staying with friends. 

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said good weather and taking responsibility for friends' actions are vital to keeping Halloween safe this year. He said he was optimistic the efforts by the university and community would prevent riots this year. 

""I think all in all, it will be a very cool weekend,"" Verveer said. ""The cops will still pose for a million pictures with everyone and we're going to see some of the most awesome costumes that we've ever seen and that's, in my opinion, the best part of this weekend.""