UW prioritizes nursing, biotech

Despite a limited budget and faculty, UW-Madison is taking steps to increase the number of graduates in the nursing and biotechnology fields. 

In 2004, the School of Nursing increased the enrollment of undergraduate students from 100 to 130 while the biotechnology program graduated its first 10 students with master's degrees in May, a number which the university hopes to double by 2005. 

However, the problem of scarce faculty remains. Nadine Mehls, associate dean for academic programs in the School of Nursing, said many students are being turned down because of staffing issues. 

\There is not enough nursing faculty to accommodate the number of qualified students applying for the School of Nursing,"" Mehls said. ""The nursing faculty shortage is not a problem at UW with finding faculty, but with getting additional funds for hiring."" 

""You need a very modest faculty-to-student size. We are strained by the number of faculty to be hired-and that's not decided by us,"" said Virginia Sapiro, associate vice chancellor for teaching and learning. 

Sapiro said the university was taking measures to extend class space for the School of Nursing. Mehls added the possibility of building an entire building for nursing students. 

""We hope in the near future, with lobbying the capitol, to build a new School of Nursing,"" Mehls said. ""Hopefully in the not-so-distant future."" 

The master's in biotechnology program is fairly new to the university, but is growing rapidly, gaining national interest as a way for those in the biotechnology field to assume leadership positions in their line of work. 

Richard Moss, executive director of the master's in biotechnology program and the professor and chair of the physiology department, said the program at UW is unique in the degree it offers. 

""There are a few universities in the country offering a similar degree title,"" Moss said. ""But I am not aware of any that offer a blend of science, business and law for such a broad degree as in our program.""