UW medical sciences will consolidate in new facility

The Joint West Campus Area Committee voted Wednesday night, 10-0 with three abstentions, to recommend the building of the Interdisciplinary Research Center, a $144 million laboratory and research facility. 

Representatives of Shorewood Hills and other surrounding neighborhoods voiced concern over the presence of the new facility and possible increases in noise and light pollution, as well as traffic and odors. 

Karl Frantz, Shorewood Hills Village Administrator, was one of the voters who abstained, citing incomplete studies on the ICR's impact on the surrounding area. 

\I thought it would be inappropriate to vote, because our planning commission has not seen the full project yet,"" Frantz said. 

Other committee members attempted to reassure community members that the university would continue to address these issues even though the JWCAC had already approved the project. 

""Our plans are designed to have as small an impact as possible,"" said Alan Fish, associate vice chancellor. ""The university is committed to being a good neighbor."" 

The JWCAC is composed of west campus neighborhood residents, Madison city council members, as well as university and UW Hospital staff. The committee reviews all west campus developments and comments on them. Their recommendations are reviewed by the city councils of Madison and Shorewood Hills before they vote on developments. 

The ICR is the result of the Healthstar Project, Fish said. The Healthstar Project is a partnership between the state of Wisconsin and the UW to provide funding to modernize UW medical facilities, Fish said, but most of the funding comes from gifts and grants. 

""The university has one of the best medical schools in the country, despite the fact that our facilities are antiquated and spread across the campus,"" said Sam Calvin, project manager. 

The purpose of the Healthstar Project is to provide the university with a world-class medical facility and consolidate several disciplines, such as pharmacy and nursing, in one building, Calvin said. 

Committee members say they hope the project will be approved by the cities of Madison and Shorewood Hills by winter, Fish said. Pending local approval, construction on the IRC will begin this summer. 

The university has only raised about two-thirds of the $144 million needed to complete the project, Fish said, and is relying on donations to provide the rest.