Report shows Wisconsin has improved in homeland security, yet work still remains

As the anniversary of Sept. 11, draws near, Gov. Jim Doyle said Wisconsin must continue to improve homeland security as he accepted a report from Homeland Security Advisor Major Gen. Al Wilkening Thursday in front of Madison Fire Station No. 7, 1810 McKenna Blvd.  

\Today, homeland security in Wisconsin is much better integrated at all levels-federal, state and local government, first responders, community organizations and citizens-into a statewide system led by the Homeland Security Council,"" he said, according to a statement.  

Doyle also proclaimed September ""Preparedness Month"" in Wisconsin.  

Doyle established the Homeland Security Council, which includes representatives from across the state, in March 2003. Wilkening said the report he gave Doyle shows the progress the state has made since the governor created the council.  

For 18 months, the council worked to ensure Wisconsin is equipped to handle any potential threat, Doyle said, which includes securing Homeland Security funding, supporting infrastructure, training and equipping emergency personnel and educating the public.  

According to the report, the state has trained nearly 23,000 emergency first responders from volunteer groups, emergency management, law enforcement and police departments. It has also used approximately $3 million to improve the security of several state-owned facilities, including Camp Randall, the Kohl Center and university labs that contain hazardous materials.  

The report also stated Wisconsin is one of the first states to establish a health professionals volunteer registry, which identifies nearly 700 health professionals who can be used in the event of a large-scale medical emergency.  

Spokesperson for Stop the War and UW-Madison sophomore Sam Swenson said he disagrees with some of the measures Homeland Security has implemented post-Sept. 11, not only at the state level but the national level. 

""It's definitely disconcerting,"" he said, referring to the broad-levels to which the concept has spread. 

""There's no justification for the [USA] Patriot Act as far as I'm concerned.\