Edwards, McCain stump in Wis.

WAUKESHA, Wis. - Democratic Vice Presidential nominee John Edwards pointedly criticized President Bush's administration for failing to move the United States forward in the past four years as he stumped for John Kerry in the heart of the state's Republican country Saturday. 

\George Bush is responsible for what happened,"" he said. ""It didn't happen by accident."" 

Amidst posters such as ""Vote out the liars,"" ""Hope is on the way,"" and ""Who's your Baghdaddy,"" Edwards said Bush should be granted his request to be judged solely on his record as president.  

Five million Americans lost their health insurance during Bush's administration, he said, and 1.5 million lost private sector jobs. 

Of the 11 presidents preceding Bush, Edwards said, ""Each of those presidents created jobs until this president. We can do better.""  

Tom Bugh, a longtime Republican from the Waukesha area who voted for Bush in 2000, said he is disappointed because of net job loss since Bush took office. He said he will not be voting for Bush in November. 

Responding to the negative attacks over Kerry's record in Vietnam, Edwards said the Republican Party is trying to divert the public's attention because it cannot defend Bush's record as president.  

""Black is white, left is right, up is down. They think if they can say it enough we'll believe it,"" he said.  

Edwards ripped into Bush's policy on the war in Iraq, claiming the country is a mess. While the president concentrated on Iraq, Edwards said Iran and North Korea continued developing nuclear weapons. 

The image of the United States has declined, according to Edwards, and its image as a beacon for the rest of the world needs to be restored. 

""We will have that beacon always lit under President John Kerry,"" he said.  

Edwards said if the public elects Kerry, they will work to build ""one America"" that will implement tax breaks and encourage companies to create jobs in the country instead of overseas. 

William Connors, a resident of Genoa City, Wis., said Edwards' visit to the state has ""shown that they're making a change."" 

Wisconsin is considered a key battleground state, as Bush lost the state by only 6,000 votes to Al Gore in 2000. Edwards told those in attendance to encourage everyone to get to the polls come November. 

""The is the most important election of our lifetime. And the choices are clear,"" he said.  

Riding high off the conclusion of the Republican National Convention, local and state Republican candidates and officials gathered in Madison to rally the Republican vote for the November election with the help of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.  

As President Bush campaigned in Milwaukee, area Republicans gathered at The Inn On The Park, 22 S. Carroll St., not only to hear the senator, but to show support for Bush and the Republican party-not a popular thing in a liberal city like Madison, said Carly Smith, a UW-Madison senior. 

""It would be a lot easier to be a Democrat,"" Smith said. ""[But] I support Bush and what he's doing-his dedication to the war on terror. He's a solid leader for our country. ... He knows what he wants."" 

Despite a bitter campaign in 2000 for the Republican Party nomination, McCain made it clear the trip to Wisconsin was about re-electing Bush in a state he lost in the 2000 election. 

""We are here for one reason, and one reason alone, and that is the re-election of George W. Bush as President of the United States."" 

McCain mostly steered away from criticizing Kerry, saying the parties need to stop viewing each other as the enemy and to start fighting the real enemy who ""is plotting night and day to destroy us."" McCain said he disapproves of the way Vietnam is being used during this campaign, but added that Bush's service in the Texas National Guard was just as commendable as Kerry's service in Vietnam, a comment met with a boisterous response from the crowd. 

""We should not be fighting a war that was over 30 years ago,"" McCain said. ""Brave young Americans, wonderful young Americans are fighting in Iraq and some of them may even be wounded or killed. Can't we work together to try and win this war in Iraq rather than going back and re-fighting one that we can't do anything about?"" 

""Service in the National Guard is honorable service. John Kerry served honorably; our president has stated that as well. He was ready to serve this country if called upon."" 

Outside both the Madison Veterans museum and where McCain was speaking, Kerry supporters gathered to make their voices heard. The theme among protesters seemed to be less about being against McCain as it was about being against McCain's support of Bush. McCain has been working with Senator Russ Feingold, D-Wis., on a campaign finance bill. 

""I think that Bush used gutter tactics on McCain four years ago and he's doing the same thing to Kerry, and I don't think McCain should stand by,"" Madison resident Jeans Hinds said. ""He has stood up and said a few positive things about the gutter techniques, but he's still there [supporting Bush].""  

After being questioned on whether he would accept a position in Bush's cabinet if asked, McCain deferred saying that while it would be difficult if the president looked him in the eye, ""I think I can be far more effective for the administration in the U.S. Senate."" 

The issue of Iraq and homeland security became a theme throughout McCain's speech as he stressed the importance having Bush in the White House during the next four years. 

""I believe now, and I will believe forever, that the cause was noble and just. ... President Bush, by his moral clarity and strength and leadership of this nation deserves re-election for four more years.""