Baldwin-Magnum debate gets rowdy

Congressional candidates U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, and Dave Magnum debated issues ranging from health care to the war in Iraq in front of a spirited crowd Monday night at the Pyle Center.  

The debate, sponsored by the League of Women Voters, took place in a packed auditorium. Attendees were not shy about expressing their political affiliation or shouting suggestions at the candidates, often while the candidates were still speaking.  

Much of the debate focused on how the contenders would represent the people of Wisconsin during their term in office. According to Republican Magnum, Baldwin has spent more time representing special interest groups from the East and West Coasts than dealing with her constituents. 

\I promise you that I won't hang around Hollywood enough to get a starring role in a movie like 'Fahrenheit 9/11,'"" he said. ""I have a goal to be your local representative in Congress. My special interest group is going to be you folks, the 685,000 people of this district. My goal is not going to be to be a national celebrity."" 

In response, Baldwin said she has spent most of her time in office in Madison and has used her power to support her constituents. 

""I'm very proud of my representation of this district,"" she said. ""I spend the vast majority of my time here, and this is where I get the chance to hear from you and represent you ... and I'm very proud of my cameo appearance that I'm glad you think is a starring role in '[Fahrenheit] 9/11.'"" 

She added most issues she works on, like higher education and foreign policy, are important to all Americans, not just Wisconsinites. 

Both candidates agreed the most important issue to their constituents was health care, but they differed on their approach. While Baldwin proposed a national health care system, Magnum said he believed in helping employers handle the health costs of their workers. 

After the debate, both Baldwin and Magnum said the enthusiasm of the crowd was a positive sign for the campaigns. 

""I was so impressed by the turnout here,"" Baldwin said. ""It shows that citizens are really interested. I thought it was a good chance for the audience to get both a sense of our different styles and our differing abilities to grasp the issues."" 

Magnum added that while he was new to politics, he thought the event went well. 

""This was the first debate of my entire life, and I thought it was a very interesting experience,"" Magnum said. ""I think the crowd did a great job and added a lot to the debate."" 

The next debate, on global affairs, will take place Oct. 17 in the Memorial Union.