UW study shows college smokers do not quit

A recent study conducted at UW-Madison found that of freshmen and sophomores who smoked four years ago, approximately 90 percent who were daily smokers and 50 percent who smoked occasionally are still lighting up.  

The study surveyed 647 freshmen and sophomores enrolled in a UW-Madison introductory psychology class, who were labeled as daily smokers, occasional smokers and non-smokers.  

\We also found that some college smokers did move between categories-14 percent of occasional smokers became daily smokers, and 11 percent of non-smokers took up smoking,"" said Michael Fiore, director of the Center for Tobacco Research, in a statement.  

The study also found that slightly more than 50 percent of students who smoked occasionally quit during their four years in college, compared to 13 percent of daily smokers.  

Spokesperson for University Communications Gloria Meyer said this study shows many students think ""they can just start smoking in college and then put it down."" However, even students who are occasional smokers can stay addicted to the deadly habit, she said. 

Meyer also said one of the reasons why college students start smoking is that 18-to-24-year-olds are the major target for tobacco companies. 

The study found that students with the strongest beliefs that smoking provides positive emotional experiences and controls weight were least likely to quit.  

According to Fiore, this study shows a need to implement programs to help students stop smoking. 

""This is critical since we know that half of those who become daily lifelong smokers will be killed prematurely by a disease directly caused by their smoking,"" he said.  

University Health Services offers several programs to help smokers. UHS Communications Manager Jonathan Zarov said clinicians can help students by administering medication and nicotine products. He added UHS also provides counseling services, hypnosis and support groups for students wishing to quit.  

Zarov advised those interested in these programs to visit www.uhs.wisc.edu for more information. 

Fiore said he thinks students could be receptive to cessation programs. 

""The relatively confined nature of the college environment might be an excellent setting for implementing both policy and individual interventions,"" he said.