UW sweeps Alaska, unbeaten in last 6

As the regular season moves toward its most critical juncture, No. 6 Wisconsin (14-6-6 Western Collegiate Hockey Association, 20-9-7 overall) earned a pair of victories over Alaska-Anchorage (7-18-3, 10-19-3) this weekend. UW defeated the Seawolves 3-0 on Friday and completed the sweep Saturday with a 3-1 victory.  

With its wins this weekend, Wisconsin cemented its best conference finish since the 1999-2000 season, when the team finished first in the WCHA.  

Wisconsin's first road sweep since November extended the team's unbeaten streak to six games and clinched at least a third-place conference finish for the Badgers. Head Coach Mike Eaves is pleased with his team's recent performance. 

\This is the sign of a good team,"" Eaves said. ""It's hard to get sweeps on the road in this league. We found out we can't finish worse than third place and that was one of our goals-to finish as one of the top three teams in the league.""  

Junior goalie Bernd Brckler led the conference-leading UW defense to its second straight shutout Friday. Brckler, the WCHA save-percentage leader, recorded the third shutout of his career as his team earned its first successive shutouts since 2000.  

""It's a great feeling,"" Brckler said. ""With the defense we've been playing, a shutout was just a matter of time."" 

Alaska-Anchorage ended the Badgers' shutout streak at 171 minutes with a goal Saturday night, but Brckler stopped 25 shots in the victory. Eaves praised his goalie's accomplishments.  

""He's on a roll or in the zone or whatever you want to say,"" Eaves said. ""Confidence is so much of a goaltender's equipment. And right now his confidence is big and his equipment is big."" 

UW's offense has been equally able in recent games. Freshman forward Robbie Earl scored two of the team's three goals Friday and has notched six goals in the team's last six games. This weekend, Eaves easily catalogued the attributes that separate Earl from most freshmen. 

""It's maturation and consistency,"" Eaves said. ""He's one of those players that brings you to the edge of your seat when he has the puck.""  

Earl was happy to help his team extend their unbeaten streak to six games after losing three straight in January. 

""I think we're back on track,"" Earl said. 

Wisconsin also found success on the power play after a six-game scoreless streak on the penalty advantage. The Badgers converted three of their six opportunities, and their three goals Friday night represented the most power play goals scored by the team in a game this season.  

""The power play is a funny animal,"" Eaves said. ""Tonight, we just found the net."" 

North Dakota moved into first place in the WCHA with its sweep of the Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs this weekend. The Fighting Sioux also eliminated Wisconsin from a chance at the MacNaughton Cup and the regular-season conference title. After this weekend's games, UW finds itself three points behind UMD. The Badgers host the Bulldogs next weekend, and another sweep would give UW sole possession of second place. 

The sweep also secured home ice for the Badgers in the first round of the WCHA playoffs. Playoff games will take place March 12-14 at the Kohl Center.