How do student athletes get away with violence?

Not all athletes are violent. In fact, most aren't, but a select group of athletes, especially college players, seem to be on a mission to make it appear that playing sports turns men into brutes. There have been a string of incidents here on campus where the violence has turned against women, with little reaction from the athletic department other than brief, slap-on-the-wrist suspensions. 

The Student-Athlete Discipline Policy requires immediate suspension in these cases, and it has been followed. But appeals have quickly put boys facing various misdemeanor assault charges back in the game, sometimes without them missing even one play. 

The latest player in the spotlight is running back Dwayne Smith, who faces second degree sexual assault charges-sexual assault involving force or threat of force-in relation to an incident a week ago. First he denied having anything to do with the victim, though he now admits to having sexual contact with her but claims it was consensual. His attorney is already making motions designed to bring her character into question. He is currently suspended from the team, due to start practice March 5, but his lawyer said he is planning to appeal. 

Maurice Wade has been charged with misdemeanor battery in relation to an incident where he allegedly choked his ex-girlfriend. He has pleaded not guilty. Ernest Mason is also facing charges of disorderly conduct and intimidating a victim after a violent altercation with his girlfriend in the dorms where he allegedly pushed her into walls and down stairs. Both were suspended immediately but quickly reinstated following appeal. 

The Student-Athlete Policy Appeals Committee granted its own amnesty and forgiveness, reinstating Wade after only a two-game suspension and before the results of the case against him have been issued. He is accused of choking a woman, an assault that could have killed her, but he was back on the court, representing the Badgers. Athletes are allowed to tell their own side to the committee, whose general response appears to be \Okay, we've held to the letter of the code and covered the surface of our responsibilities. Now go back and play."" Perhaps it's unfair to expect that people playing on a college sports team who have been charged with crimes not go out and represent the student body in front of the nation. 

Violent athletes are not a problem unique to college sports, nor to the United States. The Kobe Bryant case brought it back to the fore, and the Bulldogs, an Australian Rugby team, are likely to face charges related to an alleged gang rape. After-game partying is not uncommon and athletes cross the line in the same way that others do, but their violence can be more dangerous because of the strength and training behind it. 

It is a culture of violence and entitlement that must be controlled and stopped. Being a star shouldn't give free reign and easy forgiveness for sins. Thugs should not be representing the university on the court, or on the field, and while criminal cases are pending accused athletes should not be playing. 

Where does the violence come from? Why do they think they can get away with it? Perhaps because of these small slaps on the wrists. Maybe a short seminar on how to play nice isn't enough to overcome a culture of entitlement. They are catered to, both literally and figuratively, given tutors and other privileges unavailable to the ordinary student. They are role models and minor celebrities. They may work hard, but they are also, frankly, spoiled. They are seldom denied, and when someone who isn't their coach tells them no, there are a few who don't take it very well. They are the exception, not the rule, but their existence and actions need to be dealt with. Fans should protest the inclusion of those individuals, even if it hurts the starting lineup.