Cieslewicz supports same-sex marriage

The Madison Common Council passed a resolution to endorse allowing same-sex couples to marry with a narrow vote Tuesday night. 

The council will now urge Gov. Jim Doyle and the state Legislature to oppose constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriages-which both the state and federal legislatures are considering-and repeal state laws preventing same-sex couples from marrying. 

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said the only thing stopping him from following San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom's example in ordering clerks to marry same-sex couples was Wisconsin's allotment of authority. The county, not the city, has control over marriage licenses. 

\The city cannot issue marriage licenses [to same-sex couples],"" he said. ""I just want people to know that if I could, I would.""  

He said he would be honored to preside over the wedding of Ald. Matt Sloan, District 13, an openly gay sponsor of the resolution. 

""There are thousands of gay residents, many of them with families, in all our districts,"" Sloan said. 

The only threat to the measure's passage, which garnered 11 of 20 alders' votes in its favor, was abstaining votes, as none voiced outright opposition. 

""I do not feel it is our responsibility to speak for the entire population of Madison,"" said Ald. Judy Compton, District 16, who abstained from the vote and supported a public referendum on the issue. 

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the constitutional amendment under consideration in the state Legislature could not only prevent same-sex couples from marrying, but threaten the city's practice of granting domestic partnerships. The council, he said, needed to act as representatives of the people. 

""I'm not under the false impression it will have a huge impact,"" he said, but he called on the governor and the state Legislature to take the council's opinion into account. 

UW-Madison junior Christopher Dols, a member of the International Socialist Organization, told the council there are too many same-sex couples in the city interested in marriage for an amendment banning it to survive. He said proponents of same-sex marriage should not stay on the defensive, but advocate full marriage rights. 

""I am thrilled that it passed,"" said Brienna Deyo, who also spoke in favor of the resolution. ""It just gives me so much faith in the system.\