The Single Frame to play Club 770

Critics are always trying to fit bands into certain genres and will create new ones to describe a group's sound. The Single Frame, appearing at Club 770 in Union South Saturday night at 9:30 p.m., has been described as \dancepunk-tinged electroclash discord"" and ""short-clipped pop with hooks."" But sometimes you just have to let the music speak for itself. 

The Single Frame, based out of Austin, Texas, has built up a steady following since forming in 2000. Both of its self-released albums, Burn Radio Airtest and Wetheads Come Running, have made the College Music Journal's Top 50 list. The band recently signed its first recording deal with the label Volcom and re-released the Wetheads disc this past summer. 

The free show is sponsored by the Music Committee of the Wisconsin Union Directorate and is located in Club 770, room 140 of Union South. Club 770 is a smoke- and alcohol-free dance club. The band will play with openers Life at Sea and Up Up Down Down. 

UW-Madison graduate student Nicole Chavas, a member of the music committee for the Wisconsin Union Directorate who also booked the show, spoke highly of the Single Frame and encouraged students to attend. 

""They're going to be big. They're getting a lot of press and it would be awesome to see them while they're still playing in a small club,"" she said. 

Chavas described the Austin trio as rock with an electronic element and compared their music to similar-sounding bands Modest Mouse and Fugazi. 

The Single Frame will appear on 91.7 FM, WSUM, Madison Student Radio for a live interview Saturday night on the program ""The Perfect Face for Radio"" at 6 p.m. before their performance. 

So for those of you who think rock writers cheapen bands by trying to label their sound, this is a chance to hear for yourself a group that doesn't like to stay in one genre. 

""If you like rock, punk or electronic, you'll like the Single Frame. They appeal to a vast set of interests,"" Chavas said.