UW sport ticket prices may rise

Ticket prices for UW-Madison men's football, basketball and hockey will rise for next year if the Athletic Department votes in favor of increases next month, the department's finance committee decided Tuesday. 

The biggest increases would affect those buying single-game ticket due to a newly adopted plan called the variable pricing system. Because the system recognizes that not all games draw the same amount of attention, single-game tickets will vary in price and always cost more than season tickets, which includes less popular games, according to UW-Madison Deputy Director Jamie Pollard. 

\If you invest in the season ticket, what we're saying is that you should have a lesser price than someone that only wants to go to a certain game or bigger games,"" Pollard said. 

Pollard said if the department adopts the variable plan, they will be following a prevalent Big Ten trend. 

The most costly tickets will be single-game football tickets against Big Ten teams and will cost $40. For some sports, the single-game amount will not apply becasuse season tickets sell out all of the seats. 

Despite up to $13 increases for single-game tickets, season ticket increases will be relatively minimal. For students, an extra $2 will be added per game and an additional $5 will be added per game to most non-student season tickets. 

""We always try to keep [student prices] at a lower rate,"" Pollard said. 

Ticket revenue will go towards funding new scoreboards at Camp Randall and other stadium construction debts. 

Pollard said he thinks the department will adopt the plan next month. 

""It was very favorably received ... so my guess is it will pass,"" he said.