Strikers reject latest Tyson contract offer

A union of 470 workers for Tyson Foods' Jefferson, Wis., plant rejected the company's latest offer Jan. 11 by a vote of 242-74, almost 11 months after going on strike.  

Company spokesperson Ed Nicholson said when Tyson's negotiators left Chicago before the vote, they were confident an agreement would be reached to end the strike. 

\We were disappointed when this wasn't supported by the leaders of the local unions and the vote failed,"" he said. 

The new contract for workers in Jefferson, a community of 7,300 approximately 30 miles east of Madison, included provisions for a higher starting wage, overtime pay and a provision to keep the workers' current health care plan in place, Nicholson said. 

Although the current health care plan does not include provisions for costs such as mammograms, Nicholson told The Daily Cardinal in 2003 an average American worker pays $208 a month for a family health plan, whereas Jefferson workers pay $117 a month.  

However, according to Gregg Peters, chief steward of the Jefferson Plant, the workers felt uncomfortable accepting the new provisions, particularly because the contract does not allow the striking workers to return to work together.  

""We walked out together, we go back in together,"" Peters said.  

Peters also said the contract does not guarantee workers the same jobs they had before they went on strike. 

United Food and Commercial Workers Local 538 and company representatives met in December for the first time since the strike began Feb. 28. Two additional negotiations occurred Jan. 9 and 10.  

The workers went on strike after Tyson proposed a contract seeking, among other provisions, a four-year wage freeze, cuts in pension benefits and lower-level wages for new workers.  

Peters said the workers are still receiving strong support from the community despite the setback in negotiations.  

Workers are still hopeful they can reach an agreement with the company. 

Nicholson, however, said the company has not planned any more negotiations with the union.  

""Tyson Foods will now focus its attention on the team members currently working, meeting the needs of our customers and to operating our business going forward,"" he said in a written statement to The Capital Times.  

Mike Rice, president of UFCW Local 538, said workers continue on strike. After the strike reaches one year, current employees at the plant can legally vote to decertify the union, he said. 

""I just hope we can get [the strike] to a reasonable end,"" he said.