Dean encounters criticism of temperament, gubernatorial records in Vt.

Democratic presidential front runner Howard Dean is encountering increased criticism from the media and other candidates over his \shoot-from-the-hip"" tactics and actions while governor of Vermont, according to Newsweek.  

This includes a debate Jan. 11 when Rev. Al Sharpton criticized Dean for not including blacks in his gubernatorial administration  

These inquiries have lead some political analysts to believe Dean's hold on the Democratic nomination is weakening.  

A recent MSNBC, Reuters and Zogby survey shows Dean's lead in the Democratic race is narrowing, with 25 percent support for Dean and Dick Gephardt close behind with 23 percent.  

Adding to the list of Dean criticisms is a statement released Tuesday from Gephardt's campaign manager Steve Murphy, claiming two Dean spies were fired after they were caught breaking into another campaign office to seek information on the campaign.  

Peverrill Squire, political science professor at University of Iowa, said once a candidate becomes the designated front runner of the party, everybody starts taking shots. Dean's history of losing his temper might be why the media is probing into his actions while governor, he said. 

Squire added these recent accusations will not likely change the minds of Dean supporters but may sway the decisions of undecided voters.  

However, according to the Los Angeles Times, Dean went on the offensive Tuesday, launching a television ad criticizing his rivals for supporting the war in Iraq. Gephardt told the Los Angeles Times this indicates Dean feels he is falling behind in the polls. 

UW-Madison political science Professor Virginia Sapiro said what is most detrimental to Dean's campaign is the media's focus on his rash comments and supposed heated temper, indicating a majority of the public would not be concentrating on this without the media coverage.  

According to Mike Spahn, state communications director for the Wisconsin branch of Dean for America, Dean is the only Democratic candidate running a 50-state campaign, which so far overshadows increased media criticism.  

Spahn said Dean utilized the pre-election year to gain momentum, raising $40 million for his campaign in 2003. He also said Dean organized paid staff, television ads and a grassroots campaign with more than 11,000 supporters before Jan. 1.  

Spahn said despite recent criticism of Dean, he still believes Dean is the one Democratic candidate who can beat Bush because of his efforts to obtain support from non-Democratic party members.  

However, according to a poll in Time last week, Dean trails Bush by just 6 percentage points. 

""That has to say that there's a fair amount of discontent out there. That says there's a lot of room for the Democrats to grow,"" Sapiro said. 

The Republicans repeatedly admitted they want Dean as the Democratic candidate because they think he is weak and intemperate, Sapiro said.  

Sapiro said Dean, like all candidates, remains an enigma this early in the election year. ""You never know what's going to happen.""  

Dean must remain on top in the first set of primaries to have hopes of getting the Democratic nomination, Sapiro said.  

Jan. 19 Iowa (caucus) 

Jan. 27 New Hampshire 

Feb. 3 Arizona, Delaware, Missouri, Oklahoma, South  

Carolina, New Mexico (caucus), North Dakota  

(caucus) 

Feb. 7 Michigan (caucus) 

Feb. 8 Maine (caucus) 

Feb. 10 Tennessee, Virginia 

Feb. 14 Nevada (caucus) 

Feb. 24 Utah, Hawaii (caucus), Idaho (caucus) 

March 2 California, Connecticut, Georgia, Maryland,  

Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island,  

Vermont, Washington, Minnesota (caucus)