Assembly delays concealed carry vote until Thursday

State Assembly Republicans delayed a potential override of Gov. Jim Doyle's veto of a bill allowing concealed weapons Tuesday, drawing criticism from Democrats. 

The Assembly will revisit the issue Thursday, as Democrats were not able to convince the Assembly to vote immediately on the veto override attempt.  

\Today is not the appropriate day to make this into law,"" said Assembly Speaker of the House John Gard, R-Peshtigo, who announced the delay to quickly silenced boos and hisses. 

Several Democrats stood to call for an immediate vote, accusing the Republican majority of playing games. A disagreement over the rules of the Assembly followed, both sides voicing their opinions on the bill while discussing whether they would vote on it at all. 

""We're all here to see it done,"" said James Kreuser, D-Kenosha, the Assembly minority leader. ""And now I'm disappointed to see it delayed."" 

He pointed to a group of law-enforcement officials watching from the gallery, who received sustained applause. Some sheriffs, who would be responsible for granting permits to carry concealed weapons under the proposed law, have voiced opposition to concealed weapons. 

""This is one of those rare moments you have to make law,"" Gard said.  

This bill is better than a similar concealed-carry bill that failed in 2001, he said. SB 214 prohibits concealed weapons in more places, including child-care centers, hospitals, buildings on college campuses and private property with clear notification that concealed weapons are prohibited. 

Nevertheless, several Democrats accused Gard of trying to skew the vote. 

""They are waiting for a day when a Democrat ... wouldn't be present,"" David M. Travis, D-Waunakee, said.  

This sentiment was echoed by several other Democrats, who predicted snowstorms might run representatives on their way to Madison off the road. 

""For a member here to say we are going to wait until we have a traffic accident to have a vote ... get a grip,"" Gard said. 

""We're not playing games,"" he added. ""But we want to win."" 

In the original vote to pass the bill in the Assembly, only seven of 40 Democrats voted for it, and two of 59 Republicans voted against it. The resulting 64-35 vote was two short of the two-thirds majority required to override a veto. 

Gard said he spoke to Democrats to find more bipartisan support for the override.