A little warmth for winter

The name of the store may fool some people, but do not believe this little boutique at 513 State St. only carries pink clothing or just panties-there is more than enough lingerie in the store to make anyone's head whirl. 

From chemises to G-strings to camisoles, the petite store has a little of everything. 

And if one happens to be ignorant as to what a camisole is, (it's a sexy lingerie top) the store's owner, Melissa Files, would be more than happy to help. 

Those flirtatious tops are the fastest selling item in the store, according to Files. 

\It's priced between $30 and $94,"" she said. ""And a lot of college girls will buy them and then wear them out to a bar or club."" 

Since opening last fall in the former location of Sugar Shack, Pink Panties Lingerie has been doing well, with a steady stream of customers, Files said, adding she was surprised to have traffic from more than just students. 

""I expected it to be all college girls, but I've gotten a lot of business women type coming in, but 75 to 80 percent of my business is still college age,"" she said. ""We definitely have a strong customer base who are very loyal."" 

According to Files, though the winter months have been hard, she is expecting a boost in sales near Valentine's Day and again at spring break, with the introduction of swimsuits into the store.  

This is all good news for Susan Schmitz, president of the business advocacy group Downtown Madison Inc., especially following the recent relocation of another niche clothing store, Tomboy Girl, 2334 Atwood Ave., from the 500 block of State Street. 

""It's always interesting to see what works, and what doesn't,"" Schmitz said. ""The important thing for a street like State Street is that the mix is very special, very unique and as locally owned as possible."" 

What sets the store apart from other chain stores is the quality.  

From the fabric to the design, to the stitching, everything is superior quality, according to Files. 

""A lot of my inventory is from Europe, especially Italy,"" she said. ""[The underwear] doesn't even compare to Victoria Secret."" 

The importance of quality underwear goes beyond the comfort of having fabrics like Cosabella's talco, which is softer than any cotton, to the issue of health concerns. 

""Lower-quality underwear isn't breathable, so there is greater chance of infection,"" Files said. ""It's simply healthier to pay a little more."" 

Some of the designers she carries include Hanky Panky, Cosabella and Only Hearts. However, Files said she will personally buy whatever she thinks feels and looks good, regardless of designer or price, something she attempts to reflect in her store. 

""I try to have something for everyone, from nearly every price range,"" Files said. ""I really try to accomodate all types.\