Running down a UW dream

Most of the energy that the Badgers were missing after the Ohio State game was finally back, especially in senior quarterback Jim Sorgi, after the much-needed bye week last weekend. Unfortunately, their run defense was missing instead. 

The Golden Gophers proved they could run the ball just as well as Wisconsin traditionally does, rushing for 336 yards on 55 carries in their nail-biting 37-34 win in Minneapolis on Saturday. The loss spoiled a career day by Sorgi, who had career highs in every passing category, including passing yards with 305 and touchdowns with four. 

The 139 rushing yards by sophomore running back Marion Barber III combined with 135 yards by freshman back Laurence Maroney marked the fifth time that Minnesota has had two 100-yard rushers in a game this season. Still, the Badgers believed they could be the ones to stop the Gophers' ground attack. 

\They've done it to everybody,"" Defensive Coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said. ""We thought we could do a better job. At times we did a lot of good things, but it wasn't enough."" 

""We were prepared for them,"" senior defensive tackle Nick Cochart said. ""To have them come out and do that, it's shocking."" 

Throughout the game, the Badgers were guilty of numerous missed tackles. Minnesota running backs were continually hit by one, two, even three defenders before someone was finally able to put a stop to the rushing onslaught. As a result, safeties junior Jim Leonhard and senior Ryan Aiello tallied 21 total tackles in covering for missed tackles at the line of scrimmage. 

""It was a matter of missed tackles,"" Leonhard said. ""We just didn't make tackles."" 

Missed tackles were not Wisconsin's only problem. The young offensive line of Minnesota wreaked havoc on the Badgers' defensive counterparts. The line, composed of a senior, a junior and three sophomores, blocked beautifully for Barber and Maroney, and the backs were often five or more yards down the field before any defender even laid a hand on them. 

""Their [linemen] tie you up,"" Wisconsin Head Coach Barry Alvarez said. ""They get out on their space pretty well."" 

On the bright side, the Badgers appeared to regain some of that energy that was present on the day they handed the defending national champion Ohio State Buckeyes their first loss of the year. After appearing flat for most of the game on defense, the fire came back to the defense and they proved it by holding the Gophers to only 29 rushing yards in the third quarter. 

But forget all the rushing yards, missed tackles, the near win and whether or not UW has the energy back in their team. After a 6-1 start to the season, the Badgers are staring at a three-game losing streak, a 6-4 record, and a possible 6-6 finish to the season with games remaining against Iowa and Michigan State. If UW does not get its offense and defense clicking at the same time soon, it may wonder what might have been once January rolls around. 

""They've got to keep their heads up and get ready for next week,"" Alvarez said. ""That's all you can do.\