Regents OK scoreboards, credit transfer

The UW System Board of Regents committees passed resolutions to fund Camp Randall and Kohl Center renovations and a plan to improve the credit transfer process between the UW System and Wisconsin Technical College System. 

The Regents endorsed a six-point plan to create a more advanced yet easier process by which students can transfer credits from a technical school to UW System schools. 

\We and the technical colleges believe that this plan will go a long way to enhancing transfer opportunities and creating more options for students to earn a four-year degree,"" said UW System Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs Larry Rubin, the university's ombudsman on credit transfer issues, in a press release. 

Funding for renovations would provide new scoreboards for both Camp Randall and the Kohl Center to be installed in fall of 2004 and generate up to $600,000 a year from advertising revenue. 

""[UW-Madison] is the only university in the Big Ten [conference] not to have replay facilities,"" Regent Jesus Salas said. 

Additionally, Associate Vice Chancellor Alan Fish presented UW-Madison's proposed campus renovation and expansion proposal. The university plans to revamp electricity and water grids and refurbish or demolish several campus buildings. 

Though regents in the Business and Finance Committee planned to discuss executive salary ranges, the item was struck from the agenda following a memo from UW System President Kathleen Lyall, requesting to suspend discussion of executive compensation and focus on other issues. 

Regent Danae Davis criticized recent media coverage of Regents issues. 

""I don't mean to minimize the public's need to know, but let's not lose focus on what is important in the state,"" Davis said.