One final stand at Camp Randall

The middle of November signifies a number of things for college football fans and players: The final games of the year, bowl game placement and \Senior Days"" in colleges across the nation. Grateful fans, families, players and coaches pay respect to the graduating seniors that have contributed so much to their football teams over the previous four years. Everyone comes to the realization the seniors will soon play their final games in a college uniform, and possibly their last football games ever. 

Wisconsin will take part in their Senior Day this weekend. The Badgers have 12 seniors that will play their last game at Camp Randall, and six of those departing seniors are starters. But whether starting, being used in a backup role, or playing on the scout team, all 12 seniors have played their part in the Badgers' success over the last four years. 

""You see how they've led this year and how they've gone about their business,"" said Badger Head Coach Barry Alvarez. ""I couldn't be more pleased with them and what they've contributed to our program."" 

The most notable of the Badgers' graduating class is record-breaking All-American wide receiver Lee Evans. Evans has seen it all in his Wisconsin career. He caught quarterback Jim Sorgi's first ever touchdown and the opening score in UW's 2000 Rose Bowl victory over UCLA. Evans has broken virtually every Badger receiving record as well. More importantly, he has been possibly the most reliable player for Bucky over his four years. Whenever one hears the chant ""Leeeeeee"" from the Camp Randall faithful or sees its student section bowing in tribute, one knows Evans has come up with yet another big play for the Wisconsin offense. Evans' goodbye will be an emotional one. 

""Senior day is always emotional,"" Evans said. ""I'm going to enjoy the moment, enjoy the atmosphere."" 

The Badgers also have a trio of outstanding defenders graduating this year in linebackers Jeff Mack and Alex Lewis and safety Ryan Aiello. Mack and Lewis emerged as destructive forces in the Wisconsin defense last year and have not disappointed this year either. While Mack has been a consistent leader all-around this year, Lewis has been disruptive in the backfield (five sacks vs. Purdue) and on special teams (two blocked punts and two forced fumbles). Aiello stepped into a starting position last year as well and proceeded to lead the team with over 100 tackles. He has provided the same gutsy play this year as well. The seniors have also made an impact on each other off the field. 

""It's meant a lot being here with teammates, getting to know them, making friendships,"" Mack said.  

Sorgi, after serving as backup to former UW signal caller Brooks Bollinger, has finally gotten his chance to lead the Wisconsin offense this year and has produced positive results. Sorgi is currently the second most efficient quarterback in the Big Ten. He has brought a new dimension to the Wisconsin offense and has been able to provide a successful passing game to a Badger squad rich in running tradition. 

There are a number of other Wisconsin Badgers who have contributed to the cause of the team as well. Kicker Scott Campbell was brought in as a transfer to help with Wisconsin's kicking woes and has since taken kickoff duties for the Badgers. Linebacker Kyle McCorison has seen action as a reserve, as well as defensive lineman Nick Cochart on the line and wide receiver Byron Brown on special teams. Linebacker Jason Clemens, defensive lineman Matt Gajda and offensive lineman Fred Nieforth have all earned team Player of the Week honors working with the scout team. All have made the most of their time in Madison 

""My years here have meant a great deal,"" Campbell said. ""It was a great experience from the time I walked onto campus until the time I graduate."" 

So as the season reaches an end, it is time for fans to look back on their beloved seniors' accomplishments. All 12 elder statesmen for the Badgers have put in their time with the football team. After this weekend and a possible bowl game, it will be time for the seniors to move on to bigger and better things. Wish them luck with the future.