State St. ramp may replace popular businesses

Madison residents expressed concerns Tuesday evening over a new parking ramp that could replace houses on W. Gilman Street and Pizzeria Uno and Bop, both at 222 W. Gorham St.

\You live in this neighborhood, you have businesses in this neighborhood, you shop here. It's your neighborhood, and we want your input,"" said Guy van Rensselaer, organization development specialist for the City of Madison, at the meeting in the Madison Civic Center, 211 State St.

Planning for the ramp began in the 1970s when city planners realized parking was not proportional to the number of State Street businesses. Since then, planners have devised several proposals, the most recent being the 1999 State Street Strategic Plan.

The proposed ramp would go on the existing Buckeye Lot, between Gilman Street and Gorham Street. Mark Olinger, director of the Madison Department of Planning and Development, outlined two specific options for the ramp. The primary option would have 18,000 square feet of retail space, 400 parking spaces and residential units above the parking.

Robert Stanton, an urban planner and downtown Madison resident, criticized the location of the proposed ramp, citing the two existing ramps by the Civic Center and on Dayton Street.

""To put another parking ramp, smaller in comparison, in between these two ramps ... seems like a very poor use of public funds,"" he said.

Olinger said city planners chose the location of this parking ramp because it provides parking on Gorham and Johnson Streets, the ""principal arteries"" for traffic flow on the Isthmus. He added that if the ramp is not built, the site will still be developed, most likely as a downtown campus high-rise area.

Emily Brunjes, a Langdon Street resident, said she is concerned about parking opportunities for State Street-area residents, saying the few available spots are very expensive.

Olinger said the capital budget should include $4 million for a downtown ramp, pending approval.

The Mid-State Street Parking Site Committee will take the suggestions of Madison residents and create a report, which they will present to the Common Council for an ""up-down"" vote by February 2004.

""Hopefully we can come up with a plan that we can all live with,"" Olinger said.