State legislators question legality of Regents meeting

Three state representatives called for further investigation Wednesday by state Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager into the Sept. 2 meeting of the UW System Board of Regents, citing a \violation of the state's open meetings law.""  

The meeting in question was held with few, vague media notices. During the meeting, members of the board approved pay range increases totaling $98,000 for senior administrators.  

Last Friday, Lautenschlager met with the board in a closed meeting, wherein they reached a settlement. The board recognized the notice for the Sept. 2 meeting was insufficient, promised to do a better job notifying press and public about future meetings and agreed to void the decision to hike pay ranges. 

Lautenschlager then announced the Department of Justice determined the board did in fact violate Wisconsin's open meetings law. 

However, three state lawmakers remain dissatisfied with Lautenschlager's findings. They said the closed meeting with Lautenschlager and the board was also vague and the board may have broken the open meetings law again. 

Those questioning findings include state Rep. Rob Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, state Sen. Tom Reynolds, R-West Allis and state Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford.  

An official in the attorney general's office said they received the request and will look into it. 

Suder said he sees a pattern with the board disregarding the open meetings law, referring to a summer 2002 Board of Regents closed session conference call where they raised salaries of 30 top UW executives.  

Suder called the meetings ""evasive"" and said the board is ""not above the law."" Suder also said constituents have expressed concerns about the events. 

""When taxpayers are out on Friday night enjoying a fish fry, the top executives are behind closed doors. Something smells fishy in Van Hise and it's not the fish,"" Suder said. 

Board of Regents President Toby Marcovich said he does not understand the accusations against the board. 

""[The Board of Regents] met with the attorney general and we didn't think that we violated anything, but the attorney general did [think so] ... we already made an agreement, and we complied on our part,"" Marcovich said ""If they have a problem they should talk to the attorney general."" 

In addition to the clandestine way in which the September meeting was held, Suder said he thinks the pay range scale hikes are unjustified in light of budget concerns. 

""Constituents are baffled as to why tuition for their children is going up,"" Suder said.