News briefs

Associated Students of Madison Chair Austin Evans formally apologized to the Student Services Finance Committee Thursday for \placing the representatives in an undeserving and unfavorable light."" 

Evans criticized the committee Wednesday night in an open forum for considering the state of the economy when allocating funds. While the economy is not part of the criteria SSFC uses to determine funding, they are not barred from taking student needs into account.  

Some SSFC members responded by urging Evans to resign as chair at the Thursday ASM meeting. 

In his apology, Evans said he thought the SSFC allocates funds responsibly. Evans said he should not have approached the committee without warning to convey his impassioned message. 

""What has really embarrassed me is that I didn't control my message,"" Evans said. 

Despite his apology, some SSFC members were not satisfied, stating Evans violated viewpoint neutrality Wednesday. 

""He attacked the SSFC and didn't even open himself up for questions,"" SSFC Vice Chair Janell Wise said. 

Retired Gen. Wesley Clark will make a campaign stop in Madison Monday morning. 

Clark, one of nine Democratic candidates for president, will speak at the Capitol building at 9:30 a.m. Students for Clark Co-Chair Amy Schultz said her group will rally at 9 a.m. outside the east entrance of the Capitol building. 

""We'd like to emphasize that we're inviting students to come,"" Schultz said. 

Lt. Gov. Barb Lawton, who is also the state chair of the Clark campaign, will speak at the event. Lawton spoke in favor of the candidate earlier this month at Luther's Blues, 1401 University Ave. 

Clark, a former Rhodes scholar and Vietnam veteran, was the supreme allied commander of NATO from 1997 to 2000, according to his campaign Web site. 

A man who raped a 19-year-old woman at the 2002 Mifflin Street Block Party was sentenced to one year in Dane County Jail and eight years probation Wednesday, according to The Capital Times. 

Matthew Franke, 23, lured his victim into a house on the 500 block of West Mifflin Street May 4, 2002, court records show. He then locked her in a room and raped her. Franke apologized in court.