News Briefs

A Senate committee on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt's nomination as head of the Environmental Protection Agency after Democrats on the panel ended a boycott of the vote.  

Although most Democrats joined all the Republican members on the Environment and Public Works Committee in the 16-2 vote, President Bush's pick to run the agency is not likely to take the job soon.  

At least six Democratic lawmakers say they will use their senatorial privilege to postpone a full Senate vote on Leavitt's confirmation until they receive answers or reassurances in response to questions about Bush administration environmental policies.  

Launched Wednesday amid a blaze of nationalistic rhetoric from China's communist leadership, China's first astronaut returned to Earth Thursday, his re-entry capsule swaying gently under a vast white parachute before bumping onto the endless expanse of the Gobi desert in Inner Mongolia. 

\The party and the people will never forget those who have set up this outstanding merit in the space industry for the motherland, the people and the nation,"" President Hu Jintao declared of the launch in Jiuquan, in Gansu Province. 

For China's leadership, placing a man in space has become a talisman of legitimacy, both in domestic political terms and as a sign that the country is approaching technological par with the United States and Russia. 

A large roadside bomb exploded beneath an American diplomatic convoy Wednesday, killing three Americans and injuring one.  

The blast upended an armored Chevrolet Suburban, spraying parts and gouging a large crater in the road barely a mile from the checkpoint where the convoy had entered Gaza. One person in the blown-out car was wounded but survived. The others involved escaped unharmed.  

The security officers who died were escorting cultural attaches sent to interview Palestinian academics who applied for scholarships to go to the United States. 

Students may have noticed difficulty when accessing their Wiscmail, UW-Madison's student and faculty e-mail service, Wednesday afternoon. According to Brian Rust, communications manager for the Division of Information Technology, Wiscmail and some Web servers were down from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. due to a technical problem.  

Rust said DoIT is in the process of switching from one network to another. Users of the UW-Madison servers are currently using both networks.  

Due to the switch, traffic has been routed between the two systems through certain modules. Yesterday, users could not access their e-mail accounts and certain Web pages for two hours, because a module that helps route the traffic on the networks shut down, Rust said. 

The Alcohol License and Review Committee elected Ken Kamp to serve as chair and Stephanie Rearick as vice chairStudent groups receive funding Wednesday night. 

Rearick said she is enthusiastic about creating a solid, functioning committee in her new position. 

""I feel positive, very much so, about the whole direction of the ALRC. A lot of good stuff is happening in terms of getting processes together and getting a manual together and just beginning the process of putting together more thorough policy and processes,"" Rearick said. 

Rearick also plans to promote live music and entertainment in the Madison area. 

""A personal goal of mine is to address music and entertainment issues in a more comprehensive way that will hopefully foster a better atmosphere for live music in the city,"" she said.  

The ALRC approves liquor licenses for all venues in the city of Madison and develops legislation revolving around drinking issues.  

The Student Services Finance Committee met Wednesday night to discuss more student organization budgets for the 2004-'05 school year.  

Final budgets were determined for Sex Out Loud and the Adventure Learning Programs, with Sex Out Loud receiving $47,209, close to what they requested. ALPs received $107,726 out of their requested operating budget of $107,862 for next school year.  

Budget hearings were also held for Greater University Tutoring Service and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Community Center. GUTS requested a 14 percent increase over the 2003-'04 budget, totaling $100,301.  

The majority of this increase is for additional program supplies and increased staffing. The LGBTCC requested a 14 percent increase over the current budget, raising it to $52,577, with their primary increase for program supplies. 

Decisions on these budgets are expected to be made Monday, along with a reconsideration of Safe Arrival For Everyone's budget.  

At least 10 people are dead and three dozen are injured after a Staten Island ferry struck a pier while trying to dock Wednesday afternoon, according to The New York Times. 

Witnesses said the ferry seemed to be moving faster than usual when it collided with the dock. In the crash, the side of the ferry was ripped open and people inside were hit with pilings that crashed into the 300-foot-long ship. Experts think heavy winds and choppy waters may have contributed to the fatal crash. 

Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced the death toll Wednesday night and warned that casualty numbers could rise as recovery and rescue attempts continued. In a news briefing, he said investigators were interviewing crew members who will be tested for drugs and alcohol. 

A police official reported that after the crash, the ferry's pilot returned home where he shot himself with a pellet gun. He is now in police custody. 

The crash occurred just before afternoon rush hour.