Madison has got blues on its mind

In the book, \Blues Poems,"" Kevin Young said, ""The blues describe a state of being, a feeling, a form and sound not yet named until their 12 bars and repeated refrains came into being..."" 

This description is just one of countless interpretations of the meaning of blues music. As one saying goes, ""the blues ain't nothing but a good man feelin' bad,"" and according to Son House, a 1930s guitarist, ""They ain't but one kind of the blues-the kind between a man and a woman that's in love."" United States Congress' declaration of 2003 as the Year of the Blues has spurred a slew of examinations of the genre.  

The question ""What is the blues?"" has many answers, and many feel as passionate about their definitions as Americans feel about freedom. In fact, it was that very issue that gave birth to blues music, as an outlet for African Americans to express their despair in a life that denied the most basic of human rights.  

UW-Madison Afro-American studies professor Craig Werner quotes author Rob Ellison with: ""As a form, the blues are an autobiographical chronicle of personal catastrophe expressed lyrically.""  

In ""New Blues,"" a panel discussion that took place Sept. 25 at the State Historical Society, Werner and acclaimed music writers Robert Gordon and Peter Guralnick interacted with a large audience to discuss different opinions on blues history and where the genre is headed. 

A popular topic was the influence of the blues on today's society and music. The panel members agreed that the blues is more than just a musical style, it is an art form that can encompass everything from literature to paintings.  

""Anybody here can recognize that part of the genius of the African American cultural tradition, which has so influenced everything we know and see and listen to, is its adaptability and its sense of constant change and innovation,"" said Guralnick. 

It is this adaptability that has kept the art form popular. While the original style of performing blues music may no longer be common, the influence of blues on a genre in popular music, particularly hip-hop, is obvious. The panel and audience enjoyed a great amount of discussion as to whether modern hip-hop was a form of the blues. 

""Hip-hop is a musical form that expresses the specific experience of black Americans in a world shaped by white supremacy,"" he said. He also added that the similarities lie in how the music expresses learning to deal with the experiences of life, such as the need ""to laugh to keep from crying."" 

While not everyone agreed with this somewhat radical position, it is clear that race has a major role in the history of blues music. A close look at many blues classics shows powerful, race-motivated lyrics. In ""Good Morning Blues,"" Leadbelly said, ""Never was a white man had the blues, 'cause nothin' to worry about."" 

According to Arthur Schuna, host of 89.9 WORT-FM's ""Two for the Blues,"" the blues never really became popular in the United States until the British Invasion due to discrimination against African American artists. Bands like The Rolling Stones discovered Chicago blues artists like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf and mixed their style with rock 'n' roll, introducing this music to Americans.  

""Next thing you know, the American rock bands were trying to play all of these British rock songs which had American blues origins!"" Schuna commented. ""I rediscovered the blues in a big way while searching for the origins of rock 'n' roll and I never escaped from it once I found it."" 

This is the path taken by many, and it can explain the lack of young people who regularly listen to classic blues. It takes some searching to find traditional blues, and as many people develop their musical taste, they discover its value.  

""Younger people mostly start being into rock and hip-hop, and as they get older they start to open up their musical tastes,"" said Sybil Augustine, music director at 89.9 WORT-FM. 

Despite whether or not people are searching for the blues, there are plenty of media outlets that are making sure the art form is not forgotten.  

""The Blues,"" a seven-part documentary put together by Martin Scorsese, looks at blues as ""artists would look at something, from an emotional and an impressionistic standpoint,"" said executive producer Margaret Bodde in a quote to the Associated Press. It is a journey covering sections of the genre's history and paying tribute to such artists as Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Bessie Smith and Robert Johnson. First aired on PBS, the documentary is available on DVD and has a companion book, Web site and CDs.  

WORT-FM is currently airing ""The Blues: The Radio Series"" over the next 13 weeks as part of its regular blues programming. Each segment is one hour, covering the history of blues, along with discussions of key artists and classic tunes. Schuna feels this program has more focus that Scorsese's documentary because it was produced by one group of people rather than several different directors. He also recommends tuning in to ""Two for the Blues"" every Saturday from 8 to 10 p.m. and ""Blues Cruise"" on Fridays from 6 to 8 p.m. to anyone who ""wants to dig deeper into this great American music."" 

When asked about the importance of airing blues programming, Schuna replied, ""Too many people have not had a chance to hear the blues because they do not find it easily on their radio dial. Since it played such an important role in American popular music development, it deserves to be known.""  

Augustine adds, ""The bottom line is, hey, this is the way you get younger people into the blues.""  

In Madison, one does not have to look too far to find great blues music. The list of exemplary local bands includes the Cashbox Kings, Westside Andy and Mel Ford Band, Tate Williams and Clyde Stubblefield. There are also many great venues such as Luther's Blues, 1401 University Ave., and The Orpheum Theatre, 216 State St., for seeing these shows.  

The Cashbox Kings claim the energy of blues music makes it accessible to all audiences.  

""We try [to show] people that blues isn't just for, like, old people or yuppies,"" said harmonica player Joe Nosek. When playing to a crowd that may not have much exposure to blues, the Kings start with familiar artists and tunes, and then try to pull out some things they haven't heard before. 

According to Chris Boeger, who plays electric bass, ""Artists like B.B. King that become so huge, they are kind of a bridge that pulls people into the blues."" 

The highlight of the Madison blues scene is the Madison Blues Festival which takes place every August. Now in its seventh year, the Festival has drawn blues greats such as B.B. King, Susan Tedeschi, Shemekia Copeland, Jeff Beck and Al Green. The diversity of artists at the festival shows the vitality of blues music available. 

The appeal of the blues is universal. Ryan Arnold, promotions director with 105.5 Triple M, which has sponsored the Madison Blues Fest, believes the music has a timeless emotional appeal. 

""You hear the lyrics and you know you've felt like that before. Everybody has,"" he said. It is possible to find something to relate to in any blues classic-even college students. In the words of Langston Hughes, ""So sick last night I / Didn't know my mind / I drunk some bad licker that / Almost made me blind."" 

It is this collective appeal that has kept the blues, either as a musical style or an art form, alive today. In the words of Robert Gordon, ""What we're talking about is humanity in the broadest sense... It's not a scholar's territory. This is a music that was created in pain and expressed in pleasure. It's feeling good about feeling bad.\