Monday, June 17, 2024

LGBT activists defend same-sex marriages

Demanding inclusion and protection under Wisconsin's marriage law, approximately 200 lesbian and gay civil rights activists met with state lawmakers Tuesday hoping to stifle \mean spirited"" legislation they say violates their civil rights.  

Known as the Defense of Marriage Act, the hotly contested bill aims to redefine the state's definition of marriage from a union between ""husband and wife"" to a union between ""one man and one woman.""  

Representatives from Action Wisconsin, a statewide civil rights organization working for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, said the legislation violates the civil liberties of same sex couples. 

""Same sex couples make the same commitments of other couples and we take on the same responsibilities as other couples and we deserve the same protections,"" said Chris Ott, executive director of Action Wisconsin and Madison resident. 

Fearing further alienation, gay activists like Travis Foster, a UW-Madison graduate student and English teaching assistant, said the bill's passage would ""be a huge step away from equality."" 

""Ultimately I want to convince both Wisconsin citizens and lawmakers to support civil marriage equality,"" Foster said.  

Under current law, same sex couples do not enjoy marriage privileges granted to traditional married couples such as tax and insurance advantages. Inclusion under the law would extend hundreds of state benefits to same sex couples. 

Proposed by Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, and Rep. Mark Gundrum, R-New Berlin, the bill enjoys widespread legislative support.  

State representative Mark Gottlieb, R-Port Washington, regards the Defense of Marriage Act as ""an issue of what marriages the state should recognize,"" rather than a question of civil rights. 

Gottlieb said the purpose of marriage is to promote social stability and make it possible for families to function as a single economic unit. 

""The family unit we should be promoting is one where children are raised in an environment of having a father and a mother,"" Gottlieb said. 

In addition to seeking inclusion under state law, activists argued UW-Madison, one of only three Big Ten Schools not offering same-sex domestic partner health benefits to employees, extend such rights to gay couples.  

Lindsey Ourada, a UW-Madison sophomore and Action Wisconsin volunteer said it is time for UW-Madison to grant equal rights to gay couples. 

""Since eight other Big Ten schools do, it says something,"" Ourada said. ""I think Madison needs to become the ninth.""