Letter to the Editor

This letter is in response to the Daily Cardinal Staff Opinion of Thursday, Oct. 23, entitled \Revisiting, restricting abortion.""  

My first question to you (or you all) is what exactly is a ""staff opinion?"" Does this mean this opinion is the opinion of the entire staff at The Daily Cardinal or just a select few or...? Help in this area would be nice. Now, in response to the article.  

After reading the front page, I was disappointed to see the total bias in facts about partial birth abortions considering there was nothing about why this bill is good or beneficial in the likings of pro-life advocates. This would be expected in an opinion article like yours by the ""staff."" However, setting that aside, I would like to give my opinion on the partial birth abortion issue.  

First of all, you continuously label this a Republican/conservative issue. If that is the case, how did it unanimously pass the Senate in D.C.? Consider the fact that it passed the Senate 64-34 meaning 16 democrats voted for this to be passed as well.  

This is just another attempt for your staff and your biased newspaper to continue clouding the minds of all on this liberal campus by labeling it simply a Republican issue so you can bash our Republican president even more when he signs it.  

Good for you, just know I won't be jumping on the boat. This is not just a step for ""our Republican regime to rid the country of abortion,"" it's a step for all who know it is wrong, including liberals alike. The child whose developed head is crushed so as to be able to leave the mother's womb is a child, not a piece of property.  

Modern day medicine allows for other forms of treatment even if the mother's health is in danger. It is not the only option as you so clearly stated in your ""staff opinion"" article. Medical schools do not even teach this procedure, meaning it is not a necessity in modern-day medical practices. You also neglected to mention the fact that 28 states have already passed anti-partial birth abortion laws including New Jersey, Florida, Arizona and our home state-Wisconsin.  

You also neglected to point out the fact that partial birth abortions still happen even when the mother's health is not in danger. If you are for the mother's health, you should be against this type of abortion. It is extremely dangerous to the mother and her chances of being able to conceive again in her life are nearly zero. You also mention apathy in the article, ""every bit of apathy helps the Bush administration get closer to the day Roe v. Wade is a memory."" To me, true apathy stems from those who support abortion as a form of birth control. If this is ""next in a line of phantom threats the Republican administration has fed the public,"" then what is The Daily Cardinal feeding us?