Fans ecstatic over UW victory

Before the fifth-largest crowd in Camp Randall history, the Wisconsin Badgers knocked off the defending national champion Ohio State Buckeyes 17-10, putting an end to Ohio State's 19-game winning streak.  

\To walk off that field and break the nation's longest winning streak and stay undefeated in the league, it's one of my most gratifying wins,"" Alvarez said. ""I'm really proud of the staff and the players. It was a great win for us and our program."" 

The play of two unexpected backups carried Wisconsin to its first victory over a top-five team in the past 18 years. Junior quarterback Matt Schabert replaced injured senior Jim Sorgi and hooked up with senior wide receiver Lee Evans for the game-winning score, a 79-yard touchdown strike with 5:20 remaining in the game. Schabert also rushed for a key first down late in the fourth quarter that secured the victory. 

Third-string running back Booker Stanley continued his freshman campaign with another solid performance as he rushed for 125 yards on 31 carries, including the game's first touchdown. 

As the final seconds ticked off the clock, the celebration began and the rain-soaked student section erupted onto the field. Fireworks exploded over the north end zone scoreboard and Wisconsin fans headed straight for the goalposts, in an attempt to bring down the uprights. 

Saturday's victory propelled Wisconsin to a No. 12 ranking in the Coaches' poll and leaves it as one of only three unbeaten teams in the Big Ten.