Cardinal pro-drinkers seek out refreshing surprises

Here at The Daily Cardinal, there is nothing we won't do for our readers. We'll travel across the country to cover Badger sports. We'll go undercover to report on the juciest stories. We'll even hit the bars and drink countless cocktails to inform you which taverns are best. 

Though the latter sounds like a rough assignment, the Cardinal assembled a team of journalists willing to tackle it. So, on one thirsty Thursday, the Cardinal team of pro-drinkers wandered Madison in search of the perfect bar. Though the challenge was clearly ours, we asked each bartender to \Surprise us"" with a beverage that would impress us. Notes were taken, and where applicable, quotes overheard at these bars were recorded. 

Johnny O's 

620 University Ave. 

Upon entering Johnny O's, not only were we greeted with handsome, friendly bouncers, but also Aqua's ""Barbie Girl"" bumping on the jukebox. Sadly, that cheesy throwback to the '90s was only a precursor to the mediocre drinks to come. Bartender Katie surprised us with a $6 Bacardi Kiss, a blend of the Bacardi liquors O, Limon, Razz, cranberry juice and lemonade. We brought the drink to a wobbly table, and sipped. The too-sweet Bacardi Kiss left a burning taste in our mouths and much to be desired. Johnny O's has a menu chock-full of specialty martinis, so bartender Sabrina surprised us with a Chocolate Covered Cherry Martini. The mixture of Absolut Slow Gin and Hot Sex was poured atop a martini glass drizzled in chocolate sauce. While this martini was presented well, it seriously lacked drinkability and not worth $7. Johnny O's atmosphere, though, must be applauded-the space is huge, the d??cor is fresh and the gaming area is separated from drunken, wandering patrons. 

Wando's 

602 University Avenue 

What is it about Wando's that keeps us coming back? Is it the friendly staff? Two bars? Motorcycle d??cor? No. Surely, it is the alcohol. Although our budget would not allow us to purchase a famous Fishbowl, studly bartender Garrett served us 2 great drinks for $3. The first was a Long Beach, which although tasty, proved to be not as special as its cousin, the Long Island. The Green Apple Vodka was amazing, combining its namesake with soda and cranberry juice. This drink was delicious yet strong, and literally put a smile on every drinker's face. It was then that a bouncer introduced himself as ""Adam the Bastard"" and told us funny stories about the Wando's staff. When Adam was done, Brian appeared with an Effen Black Cherry Press, a sultry cocktail combining black cherry Vodka and seltzer, among other ingredients. This was a sturdy drink that, while cherry-flavored, was definitely manly and well worth its $5 price tag.  

Heard at Wando's:  

""If someone pukes, we make them clean it up."" (Spoken by Dave Neumyer, one of Wando's many beefy bouncers.) 

Red Shed 

406 N. Frances St. 

After getting hassled for second forms of I.D. at the door, we were forced into the sweaty crowd by drunken, Hollister-clad patrons. We waited at the bar for what seemed like hours while angry pool sharks jammed their cues into our rears, until bartender Amanda served us. Surprised with a Long Island and a Cherry Cheesecake, we were wandering away from the bustle when Leif informed us that, at 10:52 p.m., a young man vomited in the men's restroom. That made us thirsty. The Long Island was superb-a perfect blend of ingredients without using a pre-made mix. The Cherry Cheesecake was an equally satisfying drink which combined Vanilla Cuddy's, cranberry juice, and cream. Although Brian described the blend as ""the epitome of a girlie drink,"" the team agreed that this beverage was mouth-watering and dangerously drinkable. 

Heard at the Red Shed:  

""It's so crowded; it feels like you're in a barn... or maybe more like a shed."" 

City Bar 

636 State St. 

The City Bar was, by far, the highlight of our research. We strolled in to A-ha's ""Take On Me,"" followed by tunes by Jurassic 5 and, once again, ""Barbie Girl."" The diversity of the juke box fascinated us, but the glowing bar and the oversize leather couches are what made us obsessed with the City. Bartender Becky truly amazed us by not only expertly mixing drinks, but letting us throw back five drinks and 10 shots for free. One of Becky's standouts was the Apple Martini, which was tremendously strong yet delightful. Brian commented, ""This drink is perfect for both Ludacris and the common man."" Next, Becky brought us a round of Dirty Girl Scouts-no, not underage badge winners, but perhaps the most amazing shot we had ever had. The Dirty Girl Scout was a creamy, mint-chocolate treat served with Thin Mint cookies-an absolute delight. The true standout, though, was the strawberry vodka the City makes themselves. A secret recipe, the concoction is made with top-shelf vodka infused with strawberries and sugar, among other ingredients. If there is one drink you have in your lifetime, make it a sip of this fruity yet boozy liquor. 

Kimia Lounge 

14 W. Mifflin Street 

The Kimia Lounge is, as Leif put it, ""the sexiest bar in Madison."" Divided into a series of private rooms containing big beds and comfy pillows, Kimia invites patrons to sit down and get close. We chose a room, and asked our sociable server Megan to surprise us with drinks. While Megan retrieved our drinks, we made a trip to the bathroom. Surprisingly, the bathrooms were as sensual as the rest of the lounge, featuring the softest towels in Madison. Megan brought us the Flat-liner, a funky martini that she set afire. This flaming beverage not only surprised our eyes and taste buds, but also our wallets-this awesome martini was only a dollar more than every other Madison martini. While Megan entertained us, Andrew schmoozed with owner Kami Eshraghi at the bar. Kami told Andrew his life story, including how he invented the drink Caspian Blue while inspecting caviar on the Caspian Sea. Andrew witnessed the mixing of two top-secret drink recipes, but sadly could not remember their ingredients. Due to Andrew's sweet-talking, we thought Kami would let us test his concoctions on the house, but on our way out, Megan hit us with a $30 bill. 

Somewhere on Capitol Square 

Due to time constraints, the group unanimously voted to skip a visit to the Paradise Lounge, 119 W. Main St. ""We are skipping the 'Dise thanks to the fact that the 'Dise is a hole in the wall,"" said a stumbling Andrew. 

Genna's Lounge 

105 W. Main St. 

Upon entering a crowded Genna's, we headed upstairs. Unfortunately, Leif was nowhere to be found, and we were forced to order without him. Bartender Jeanette first surprised us with a Boilermaker-a shot of Jameson whiskey dropped into a glass of lager. This was a pleasant alternative to the other mixed drinks we sampled earlier-the boilermaker ran smoothly down our throats, and left our team feeling satisfied. Jeanette then flexed her muscles, surprising us with a Jack Kerouac-a drink Jeanette explains as ""Jameson with aromatic bitters and tonic."" One sip of this drink painted an awful grimace on a few faces, but Brian truly valued the strength of this drink, stating ""This is a big-boy drink."" Genna's was pleasantly congested with an eccentric range of visitors who actually apologize when they step on your toes. Clearly, Genna's not only has quality whiskey, but quality people. 

Heard at Genna's:  

""I saw this thing about John Ritter tonight. He's my favorite musician in the world."" (Spoken by a curly-haired kid who really knows music.) 

Rainbow Room 

121 W. Main St. 

Though the City reigned supreme in terms of drinks, the Rainbow Room's atmosphere could not be beat. We arrived in the midst of a drag show, featuring saucy performers who dressed better than all of us. Both bartenders, each named ""Matt,"" were friendly and eager to surprise us. Matt No. 1 created an enjoyable Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Martini, but it was Matt No. 2 who stole the show. By this time, Brian was sick of adventure and needed an old favorite: Grey Goose Vodka and tonic. Brian drank happily, calling his cocktail ""the best drink ever invented."" The panel agreed that this drink was a delicious one, but it was the music and loyal patrons that made the Rainbow Room Special. Perhaps the highlight of the Rainbow Room was a song-and-dance number performed by Julio. After Julio disrobed, revealing only a sparkly blue thong and a sizable endowments, we had no choice but to award him $1 in his elastic band. 

Heard at the Rainbow Room:  

""I love it! They have the best queens here!"" (Spoken by ""Veronica,"" an endearing patron with a front-row seat at the drag show.) 

The Plaza 

319 N. Henry St. 

It was at this point that we realized we had lost a team member-Brian had disappeared mysteriously into the night, so as a tribute to him, we trudged onward to our final tavern. At this point, our notes were soaked with beer and explained virtually nothing about the quality of drinks and everything about, well, how wasted we all were. Nevertheless, we managed to squeeze in a few final drinks before leaving. When bartender Nick informed us that he would surprise us with a Spaten Optimator, our crew squealed with curiosity. It turns out that a Spaten Optimator is just one of the many beers the Plaza has on tap, and after visiting eight bars in four hours, all beer tends to taste alike. Though our team could not take suitable notes on the drinks, many folks at the Plaza grabbed the Cardinal's notebook and made observations of their own. These notes include comments on the Plaza's fabulous music, pool tables and good company, and also a letter to someone named ""Alex."" 

Heard at the Plaza:  

""Only Leif's mom kicks it straighter than The Plaza."" (Spoken by Dan Hinkel, Cardinal columnist and frequent patron of The Plaza.)