Calling out Leavitt

In the same way Stan Marsh of \South Park"" once nominated John Edward of ""Crossing Over"" for ""Biggest Douche in the Universe,"" I'd like to nominate Alex Leavitt for the same award for suing his old team because they cut his whiny ass in February.  

Oh, I'm sorry, it had nothing to do with him getting cut. Rather, it was because Coach Mike Eaves caused him, ""severe economic loss"" and ""embarrassment, disgrace and humiliation in the world of amateur and professional hockey."" Far be it from me to question someone's emotions, but isn't it more disgraceful and humiliating to sue your former college team for one million dollars because things didn't go your way? 

Now I'm not defending all of Coach Eaves' actions. Obviously, no coach has the right to physically accost his or her players. But since when was it OK to: A) go to the Wisconsin State Journal and whine about the incident after the matter was apparently settled and coincidentally, after the coach benches you for unsportsmanlike conduct, and then B) sue the school's Athletics Department nearly eight months after the coach decides to let you go? Can you do that? Can you seriously sue the school because you didn't get your way? 

Crimeny! If everything in life was that easy! Come to think of it, that 80 percent I received on my term paper from my Spanish teacher really hurt my chances of getting into grad school. And the look that my classmates gave me after they saw all that red ink on my paper?  

I was sooo embarrassed! In the world of academia, I was humiliated and thus, suffered economic loss from not getting the job I could have had if I went to grad school. You know what, I'm going to sue Sr. Johnson, the Spanish Department and the university for one million dollars for causing me so much pain! 

And how could you sue for money you think you deserved for a level that you haven't been to yet? Leavitt is a talented hockey player, but, and here comes the big surprise... so is everyone else at the college level!  

For the record, Leavitt wasn't exactly a gamebreaker. He was sixth on the team in scoring during both of his seasons. Impressive, but not exactly you-should-be-guaranteed-one-million-dollars impressive. 

The sad thing is that the department will have to waste valuable money and time on such a worthless lawsuit. And Leavitt will be painted in a positive light, as the poor kid who was pushed too hard by his heartless coach.  

Maybe if he was as mature as he was media-savvy, Leavitt would realize that the reason he's not in college hockey or the NHL is because hockey at those levels is played by men, not by petulant brats who play the crying game with the media.