Big Ten unbeatens set for battle

For all those Badger football fans who thought the challenge was over, think again. This weekend's homecoming game features No. 12 Wisconsin (3-0 Big Ten, 6-1 overall) and No. 15 Purdue (2-0, 5-1). The Boilermakers have an all-around solid team and the potential to put up an even tougher battle than the Buckeyes did last weekend. 

The matchup to watch this weekend will be Wisconsin's productive rushing offense against Purdue's dominating defense. Purdue leads the Big Ten in total defense (261 yards per game) and points allowed (13 points per game).  

Last weekend the Badgers were able to overcome a comparable Buckeye defense, but again the team will have their hands full. The Boilers' defense is allowing only 60.8 rushing yards a game. 

Besides defending the ball, Purdue comes into Camp Randall as one of the hottest offensive teams in the Big Ten. Their productive quarterback, junior Kyle Orton, has many offensive options. The Boilermaker receiving squad consists of senior John Standeford and junior Taylor Stubblefield. Both are comparable in power as Stubblefield caught at least one pass in all 28 games in which he participated and Standeford is Purdue's career reception leader and career receiving yards leader. 

Also, recently Purdue has turned to its running game and looks to the likes of sophomores Jerod Void, Brandon Jones and freshman Jerome Brooks. The Boilermakers could be down a rusher as Void sat out the team's last game against Penn State. 

\They are a really good offensive football team,"" junior defensive lineman Jason Jefferson said. ""They can run the ball, they can pass. The quarterback looks pretty good. We have our hands full this week."" 

Another weapon the Badgers will have to keep their eye on is Anthony Chambers. He was named Big Ten Player of the Week for his performance last weekend. Chambers set a school record by running for 149 yards on five punt returns, including a 76-yard touchdown. 

With this multi-talented Purdue team, the Badgers will have their hands full. Last week served as good preparation, but with a new opponent brings a whole new game. 

""We feel pretty happy about our performance [against Ohio State],"" senior captain and linebacker Jeff Mack said. ""But one thing we have to understand is Purdue is a totally different offense, a better offense than Ohio State, but it's nothing that we haven't seen before."" 

UW will have to give an even stronger effort than last week as they host a team that has won five straight. 

""We're just trying to improve this week,"" defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said. ""We're always trying to improve our coverages, and we have to do the best job we can in playing the football. Orton hasn't been sacked very often so they're doing a good job in protecting him. I thought our kids played well last week, and that game's over."" 

This game is essential for both teams in that by the time it is over, there will be one fewer undefeated team in the Big Ten.