Backups shine in victory

For a team that relies heavily week in and week out on the production and consistency of its offensive studs, mainly senior wide receiver Lee Evans, quarterback Jim Sorgi and junior running back Anthony Davis, it was their backups who proved pivotal in UW's 17-10 win over the Buckeyes of Ohio State. 

Stepping in at quarterback for the Badgers during the crucial final quarter was junior Matt Schabert. Sorgi's replacement performed at the finest of levels as he weathered the UW offense and led the Badgers to their game-winning drive capped by a 79-yard pass to Evans for the go-ahead score. Schabert finished the game with 104 yards and a touchdown on two of three passing in addition to three runs for 16 yards. He attributes his success primarily to his coaches. 

\Coach Horton does a great job with us every week and prepares everyone, no matter where you are, to be a starter,"" Schabert said. ""And he always tells you you're one, two, three plays away from being in and I really take that to heart, you know.  

""We've had a history of guys coming in and you know, being the back up, being the third-string guy and still getting the job done; it's due to him because he does a great job."" 

In place of the injured Davis, freshman tailback Booker Stanley controlled the running game for UW as he tallied 125 yards and one score on 31 carries, his third 100-yard game of the season. Stanley's eye-catching performance may be new to fans, but, it has come to be expected by his teammates and coaches. 

""Honestly, I could have imagined that because I watched him practice all week... He was fun to watch tonight. I really thought he competed and was physical and was really enjoying the football game,"" Offensive Coordinator Brian White said. 

""If you went into the season and asked me if we'd beat Ohio State without Jim Sorgi in the fourth quarter in a tight ballgame and without Anthony Davis, I wouldn't have put too much money on it,"" he added.  

""But I will say this: I think it totally defines what this program's been built upon. When you get your opportunity, you take advantage of your opportunity. When someone gets hurt, then the next guy steps up and the standard of performance doesn't change and that's what you saw tonight. And it was a great team win.\