Sunday, June 16, 2024

UW student-athlete graduation rates rise

UW-Madison has the third-highest graduation rate among student-athletes nationwide and for the first time, these student-athletes' graduation rates exceed that of the UW-Madison general student population, according to a NCAA study released last week. 

According to the study, student-athletes' graduation rates were 13 percentage points higher than other UW-Madison students. Additionally, student-athletes showed a 27 percent increase in graduation rates since 1995, attaining the largest degree of difference among student-athletes and general students in the Big 10 schools.  

David Harris, director of the UW-Madison Athletic Department academic affairs office, said UW-Madison places emphasis on both talent and GPA, making for success both athletically and academically. He said he deems this increase to be both a result of admitting student-athletes \who are committed to academic achievement"" and of coaches' and administrators' dedication, saying they make sure education remains UW-Madison's No. 1 priority. 

""Since this graduation rate reflects those students who entered in 1995 ... I think it definitely shows that there was certainly an emphasis being put on [academics] back then,"" Harris said. ""It's not something that's just developed recently.""  

However, Jane Piliavin, UW-Madison professor of sociology, does not believe these rates accurately reflect UW-Madison academics among student-athletes.  

""These rates bounce up and down like crazy because they're based on one year's class and what percentage of them managed to graduate within six years,"" Piliavin said. ""If it keeps up for a few years, I'll say, 'Gee, wow! Aren't we doing a great job and aren't they doing a great job!' But one year is not enough to tell."" 

Just a few years ago, she recalled, UW-Madison's graduation rates ranked one of the worst in the country.  

Piliavin also outlined different aspects that need to be taken into account in relation to the calculation of graduation rates. Football players who make it to the NFL count against the graduation rate, she said. Also, the study must also account for people who transfer and graduate elsewhere.  

UW-Madison sophomore Katie Lawson, a member of women's crew, said she does not feel pressured by her team to do well academically, but does feel crew helps her budget time more efficiently.  

""I think because you spend so much time doing your sport, the extra time that you have, you try to use as wisely as you can,"" Lawson said. 

She also added the coaches and the university are extremely supportive. She said facilities such as the Fetzer Center provide tutors specifically for athletes.