Students shop for all the basics

With the busy schedule most college students have, it is no wonder that several convenience stores have sprung up around campus, with most of the stores concentrated around State Street. 

Each convenience store offers a different selection of products and a unique atmosphere. The one common feature of the stores is that they offer products every college student uses.  

The Triangle Market, 302 State St., offers basic grocery and health needs along with cleaning supplies, batteries, disposable cameras and film. The Stop and Shop Grocery, 501 State St., offers a similar selection of products. MacTaggart's, 230 E. Lakelawn Place, also offers basic grocery needs and health needs.  

The Den, 74 University Square and 555 State St., offers all of the basic needs as well as Wisconsin souvenirs. The UniversitySquare location sells CDs amd a ;arger selection of office supplies. It also offers film developing with the option of 59-minute in-house film developing or send-out developing. 

Walgreens, 676 State St. and 15 E. Main St., offers a larger selection of health and beauty supplies. Both locations have film processing available and the Main Street location also has a pharmacy for people who need to fill prescriptions.  

Capitol Centre Foods, 111 N. Broom St., offers the largest supply of grocery products and also offers some health and beauty products. It boasts of being the only full-service supermarket in downtown Madison, but some products found at larger grocery stores cannot be found at Capitol Centre Foods.  

Despite the variety of products offered, location is a big factor for people stopping at each store.  

Jordan Packer, who works at Stop and Shop Grocery, said the convenience of street traffic is one reason people stop by. 

Robbie Bessert, who works at the University Square Den, agrees. \It is close, and it is fun here."" 

Both Bessert and Packer think atmosphere is another factor for drawing customers. 

""It is completely different from corporate [chains]. It is a lot more laid back. [We aren't wearing] blue smocks,"" Bessert said. 

""We have a lot of fun working [at Stop and Shop Grocery],"" Packer said. 

Bessert also commented about the atmosphere, stating, ""It is very student oriented."" 

Sarah G., co-manager of MacTaggart's agrees, ""It is a lot younger-just a lot of college kids and that is what makes MacTaggart's, MacTaggart's.""  

Cas Salas, owner of the Triangle Market, said their hours are a draw for college students. The store is open Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. until midnight and 8:00 a.m. until midnight Saturday and Sunday. Salas said being open late is nice for the students on their way home from the library or other locations later at night. 

Stop and Shop Grocery is open every night until 11:30 p.m. MacTaggart's is open 7:00 a.m. until midnight, Sunday through Thursday and open 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Capitol Centre Foods is only closed from 12:01 a.m. until 7:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. Walgreens on State Street is open from 7:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. Saturday and 9:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. Sunday. The Den is open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Saturdays and 11:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Sundays. 

A lot of tourists have stopped into the Triangle Market to ask about their free tours. Salas said it was something fun they came up with a few years ago. The store has pamphlets with maps showing customers where various products are located. They also offer guided tours weekdays at 7:05 a.m. 

While people have threatened to come in for a guided tour, Salas said, ""We haven't had anyone come in at 7:05 a.m. for a tour yet."" 

Each store offers its specialty, coupled with a convenient location near classes, State Street and student housing; these shops provide students with all of their necessities. 

With the traffic around State Street it is obvious why convenience stores have flourishd. With students populating much of the downtown, convenience is key. They benefit from the varietyof products these stores offer as well as the range of locations they offer.