Second anniversary of terrorist attacks quieter on campus

This Thursday marks the second anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. According to John Lucas of University Communications, UW-Madison and other college campuses will take a quiet approach in remembrance of the 2001 events. 

Students will not hear the usual chimes from the carillon bell tower, located outside of the Social Science building. Instead, students, faculty and staff will hear chimes play for three to five minutes beginning at 10:30 a.m. in memory of the victims. 

Lucas said this year's anniversary is much different from the first anniversary of the attacks. 

\It is kind of a more subdued approach this year as opposed to last year,"" he said. 

Last year, students and members of the community gathered in Library Mall to commemorate the first anniversary of the attacks and participated in day-long events. 

The Madison Area Peace Coalition, along with a few other organizations, will host a remembrance candlelight vigil on Sept. 10. The event will be held at James Madison Park, along East Gorham Street, at 7:30 p.m. 

Lucas said UW-Madison and many other campuses are not holding large commemorative events this year. Instead, the university wanted students to commemorate the day in their own way. 

""The thinking was ... that we're kind of in step with other campuses around the country that are sort of going to have a quiet day and just let people kind of do their thing individually or with religious observance or whatever else they plan to do personally,"" he said. 

The American Red Cross will be holding a blood drive at the Red Gym between noon and 5 p.m. A press release from the American Red Cross said the event will give students, faculty and staff a chance to save lives in remembrance of those who lost their lives in the Sept. 11 attacks.