Monona Terrace offers free music for all ages this fall

It is still the first week of classes and already stress is causing headaches and sleep deprivation. Maybe the recent expense of books has put an untimely dam on the cash flow or the pressure of getting into classes that actually fill a requirement has lead to a condemnation of all things educational. Looking for some relaxation? The Tunes at Monona Terrace Concert Series offers a chance to take a breather from high stress classes, enjoy a wide variety of music from local artists, and best of all, it is totally free.  

The Monona Terrace puts effort into bringing in a wide variety of music that will appeal to many audiences, as all shows are for all-ages. The musical genres included in this year's series range from R&B, reggae, blues, swing and jazz and are all performed by artists from around the area.  

\The majority of the artists are from southern Wisconsin,"" said Misty Lohrentz, community events coordinator of the Monona Terrace. ""The mission statement of Monona Terrace is to be a gathering place for the community.""  

By offering these free concerts, local residents and organizations are given a chance to get together and enjoy local entertainment. According to Lohrentz, the concerts have been utilized as a meeting place by everything from dating services to the Red Hat Society. But it's not just a place for groups to gather, and Lohrentz as well as the featured artists encourage students to attend.  

""I'm always looking forward to playing at the Terrace,"" said Andy Linderman of West Side Andy and Mel Ford Band, who played for the grand opening of Monona Terrace. ""We reach a lot of people there, and it is a great venue for students."" 

Clyde Stubblefield of the Clyde Stubblefield Band agrees. He said Monona Terrace is a great place for students to unwind. 

""It's a good time to relax and clean your head out,"" he said. ""It's good for students to relax."" 

The Monona Terrace is a perfect venue for cashing in on that promise of relaxation. Shows will take place on the rooftop as long as the weather permits, offering spectacular views of Lake Monona and downtown Madison. Once moved indoors, the concerts will be held in the exhibition hall which includes banquet tables and plenty of room for dancing. 

""We always make sure there is a lot of room when we have band coming in that we know people like to dance to,"" said Lohrentz. 

The Tunes at Monona Terrace series runs through December, so at any time this semester when studying for eight more hours just seems too bleak to attempt, reward yourself by taking a break at Monona Terrace.