Memorial Union hosts sweet celebration

What's not to love about the Memorial Union? Those Terrace chairs. That Rathskeller ale. The smell of the lake mixed with brats fresh off the grill. Now, as the Memorial Union turns 75 years old, the Wisconsin Union decided to celebrate in true UW fashion-with Babcock ice cream. 

And so the 75th Anniversary Ice Cream Jubilee was created-a competition to create and name a new Babcock ice cream flavor to honor Memorial Union.  

In May, the Wisconsin Union asked students, alumni and Union patrons to think of a name and brief list of ingredients for a commemorative ice cream flavor. The contest had only one rule-the name and theme of the ice cream had to center upon a room in Union itself, or an activity or service the Union provides. 

The Wisconsin Union received more than 1,100 entries from Union lovers throughout the country.  

\It was a thrill to see entries come in from as far away as Ohio, Texas, Virginia, Montana, Colorado and New Jersey, and to know that people who might not be able to come to the Union during our anniversary year were still able to participate in the celebration,"" said Maggie Baum, contest coordinator and Union membership director.  

The most common themes of the entries were the Terrace and its chairs, Lake Mendota, the sunset and late study hours in the Rathskeller. Beer, however, was one theme that did not make the cut. ""We want people of all ages to enjoy our anniversary ice cream,"" said Baum, ""so those were rejected."" 

But of all the entries, these five flavors were picked as finalists: 

Vanilla with banana pieces, chocolate chunks, cherries, pecans and a fudge swirl, submitted by Susan Hegedus of Oshkosh. 

Coffee ice cream with raspberries and dark chocolate chunks, submitted by Megan Wiseman of New Berlin. 

Cherry flavor with cherry chunks, submitted by Shu-Chi Liang of Madison. 

A blend of chocolate, vanilla bean, malted milk and chopped peanuts, submitted by Brian Potter of Madison. 

Vanilla with a ribbon of peanut butter, fudge and caramel, submitted by Kim Lintner of Madison. 

It is now up to the public to decide which flavor will be chosen as the official anniversary ice cream. Tomorrow, the Terrace will host the ""Top Five Tasting"" from 4-7:00 p.m. Ice cream enthusiasts young and old are invited to the Terrace to taste all five creations, and vote on their favorite. If you cannot make it to the commemorative ice cream tasting, visit http://www.union.wisc.edu/75 and vote for your favorite online. 

The winner will be announced Sunday, Oct. 5 at the Memorial Union's Anniversary Packers Party, during halftime. The winning flavor will be ready for sale following the announcement. 

Best of all, the creator of the winning flavor will receive a gallon of their ice cream and a special piece of Memorial Union to take home-their own Terrace chair.