It's all in the coach

In the day and age when professional athletes are getting younger and younger and are paid millions of dollars to just PLAY sports, it's easy to forget that for the entirety of an athletes career, the key to an athlete's success all begins with his or her coach.  

Throughout every step of an athlete's career, from childhood to professional status and the route in between, the coach is the real key and the most underappreciated factor in the success of a player.  

In all sports, whether a team is involved or not, the coach is the most imperative person involved. They are the teachers, the scout, the guru, the parental figures and most importantly the ones who have the knowledge and experience to be able to relate the game to future generations.  

What good is an athlete with skills if they do not know how to utilize the skills? What good is an athlete that does not know when to make his cut to the basket, or when to charge the net for a volley or when to block for a teammate? 

It's the coach that can best answer these questions and knows when and how to apply the abilities to the maximum potential of the athlete or team. 

In my opinion, it is the coach that is the single most important aspect of any successful athlete or team. No championship or title can be won without an outstanding coach. For that reason, it is imperative that coaches receive just as much financial security as players. 

You don't believe me? 

Just ask Andy Roddick. The 21-year-old tennis stud just won his first major title and it comes a few months after getting Brad Gilbert as his coach. Roddick is 37-2 since taking on the new coach and it is a credit to both of them. After all, in a short time they have created one of the most successful player-coach relationships in all of sports. 

Just ask Ron Dayne. The ex-Badger star was never seriously considered a tailback by college scouts coming out of high school. To Head Coach Barry Alvarez's credit, he saw the talent in Dayne and his ability to fit his own view of playing power football. Dayne's success in college clearly demonstrates the importance of the coach-player combination. 

Just ask the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' players about head coach Jon Gruden and how big of an impact he had on his team in just their first year. 

A team of quality athletes and quality teachers equals success in any sport. Without this combination, the team rarely succeeds. It's hard to say that the coach is the only important aspect because no coach wins without talent, but the combination is what sets the best from the rest.  

Still don't believe me? Just ask Michael Jordan and Shaquille O'Neal. Neither won championships until that guy named Phil became their leader.